Bose Sounddock not playing music

My ipod is working fine and it charges when on Bose Sounddock but no

music plays.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 1:03 AM

Since your iPod does not have Bluetooth, the only other option is to use a cable from the headphone socket to a speaker. Not all Bluetooth speakers have a AUX input on them (that accepts a headphone style jack plug), so consider the speaker with that in mind. You will also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (headphone style plug on each end) to connect them together.

However, I think the first thing you should do is use headphones to ensure that there is sound coming from the headphone outlet, because it is always possible that the iPod itself has failed and is not providing any sound out, in which case, the speaker will not help.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 1:03 AM in response to Ipodwithbose

Since your iPod does not have Bluetooth, the only other option is to use a cable from the headphone socket to a speaker. Not all Bluetooth speakers have a AUX input on them (that accepts a headphone style jack plug), so consider the speaker with that in mind. You will also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (headphone style plug on each end) to connect them together.

However, I think the first thing you should do is use headphones to ensure that there is sound coming from the headphone outlet, because it is always possible that the iPod itself has failed and is not providing any sound out, in which case, the speaker will not help.

Jul 17, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Ipodwithbose

I don't have a definitive solution but I will suggest the following, based on my own experience (a few years ago) of a Bose Sounddock:

1. remove all power from the Sounddock for at least 30 seconds. This will hopefully cause the Sounddock to reset
  2. check the dock connector on the iPod to ensure there is no fluff in the port. Do the same for the connector on the dock
  3. restart your iPod. Do a complete power off (not just putting it to sleep) and then turn it back on again. It will go through its initial power on reset

Jul 18, 2023 12:27 AM in response to Ipodwithbose

You haven't mentioned which iPod you have, but if it has Bluetooth, then buy yourself a Bluetooth (BT) speaker. I have a small JBL BT speaker. It has a rechargeable battery in it, so I can carry it around. The UK company Roberts have a good BT speaker, but I don't know if their products are available worldwide.

Take your iPod with you to the shops and try out their range of BT speakers until you find one you like and can afford.

Bose Sounddock not playing music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.