Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetInstall & NetRestore fail when attempting to connect/install.

I'm trying to get a 10.6.4 server to host NetInstall & NetRestore images to build workstations on in classrooms. We've created a NetInstall from a base OS X 10.6 install DVD. Additionally, we've created a NetRestore image from a 'Golden Master' workstation that we want to roll out.

We're able to boot the workstations under a current 10.6 configuration, when we go to set the Startup Disk, we see both the NetRestore and NetInstall options. When we select one and restart, the workstation gives the flashing world icon for a minute or two, then boots into the OS on the system. The same result occours when using a boot DVD.

On the server side, the log shows that we have contact from the MAC address of the workstation we're working with, but for some reason neither the NetInstall nor the NetRestore will "catch" and proceed with installation.

Is there something I'm obviously missing?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 4G RAM

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 2:58 PM

4 replies

Aug 21, 2010 11:06 AM in response to Lionchild

I cloned 300 Macs using NetInstall images on my school's 10.5 server, then upgraded to 10.6 and now can't use any NetBoot functions. I've been using Mike Bombich's excellent troubleshooting guide and have gotten to the point that it seems port 69 for tftp is not open (though on the local Mac's startup preferences it can see the netinstall image). The permissions for the images are appropriate, and since NetBoot services worked on the router/switch infrastructure 2 weeks ago, I am assuming the config problems aren't router-based. But when I go into the Firewall and enable tftp port 69 (and others), it makes no difference. When I trace tftp from a client it says no such service, port scan on server IP shows 69 port not open. How do I open a port on the server in terminal mode? How do I flush the NetBoot cache in terminal mode?

Or do I just reinstall 10.5 server?

Aug 22, 2010 12:12 AM in response to Lionchild

I just dealt with an issue like this, and for me it turned out to be a Firewall configuration issue. Try turning off the server Firewall before you begin NetRestore process. If it works, then you've got a port that needs to be opened.

These are the ones I've opened

RPC: 111 TCP
NFS: 2049 TCP/UDP
NetInfo - full range: 600-1023 TCP/UDP
DHCP and NetBoot server: 67 UDP
DHCP and NetBoot client: 68 UDP
TFTP: 69 UDP

Arother way to troubleshoot this is to bring up a terminal on the server and type

"sudo tcpdump -i enX host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

where enX is the ethernet interface that's hosting NetBoot (usually en0 or en1)
and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of the client machine that you are trying to NetRestore/NetInstall

NetInstall & NetRestore fail when attempting to connect/install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.