Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive

Suddenly, I can't type on my MacBook Air. The built-in keyboard is unresponsive. I tried restarting, but now I can't sign in because it says my password is required to enable touch ID. Is there anything I can try to get this working again? The cursor works, but I'm now at the login screen and can't type my password.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 4:14 PM

ShariPotter Said:

"Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive: Suddenly, I can't type on my MacBook Air. The built-in keyboard is unresponsive. I tried restarting, but now I can't sign in because it says my password is required to enable touch ID. Is there anything I can try to get this working again? The cursor works, but I'm now at the login screen and can't type my password."

-------

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs)Sometimes changes are made that require in the system caches to be reset. This just might do the trick. So, first attempt this by using an external keyboard keyboard:

Using an Eternal Keyboard to Perform the Reset:

If you have no USB-C keyboard, then use this adapter to connect it: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 4:14 PM in response to ShariPotter

ShariPotter Said:

"Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive: Suddenly, I can't type on my MacBook Air. The built-in keyboard is unresponsive. I tried restarting, but now I can't sign in because it says my password is required to enable touch ID. Is there anything I can try to get this working again? The cursor works, but I'm now at the login screen and can't type my password."

-------

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs)Sometimes changes are made that require in the system caches to be reset. This just might do the trick. So, first attempt this by using an external keyboard keyboard:

Using an Eternal Keyboard to Perform the Reset:

If you have no USB-C keyboard, then use this adapter to connect it: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Jul 17, 2023 4:20 PM in response to ShariPotter

I'd first take a look at this Apple Support document: If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses - Apple Support

(You won't be able to do a lot of these steps if you aren't able to sign in to your computer, unfortunately.)

It does sound like a possible hardware issue to me. If the above doesn't help, can you take it to an Apple Store and let one of their techs examine it? They can do things Apple doesn't trust us commoners with.

Jul 17, 2023 5:15 PM in response to TheLittles

When I tried to reset the NVRAM, it just started up, didn't do that thing where it chimes 2-3 times first. I was able to reset the SMC, as I can start it up and shut it down because the cursor works. But nothing has changed. The keyboard still doesn't work. I don't have the write cords to connect my keyboard to the MacBook. Both have lightning cables.

Jul 17, 2023 5:24 PM in response to ShariPotter

ShariPotter Said:

"Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive: When I tried to reset the NVRAM, it just started up, didn't do that thing where it chimes 2-3 times first. I was able to reset the SMC, as I can start it up and shut it down because the cursor works. But nothing has changed. The keyboard still doesn't work. I don't have the write cords to connect my keyboard to the MacBook. Both have lightning cables."

-------

Try the resets thrice. Macs don't use lightning cables. USB-C is what you have on a 2018-2020 Mac (the posts look about the same size). If you have no adapter, then ask to borrow one, or get one for today's use and from here on out.

Jul 18, 2023 6:36 AM in response to ShariPotter

ShariPotter Said:

"Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive: Right, USB-C is what I mean. The NVRAM restarts and SMC didn't help. I'll call my Mac guy today or get an appt at the genius bar. Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it.

————

You are welcome.

Let us know if you find a solution, and what fix you came across. It will help many for certain.

Keyboard on MacBook Air unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.