How I can add another iPhone to my Apple id

I need to add another iPhone to my APPLE ID

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 5:40 PM

On the other phone open Settings and tap on the log in message at the top of the screen, then enter the Apple ID and password.

You should only use the same Apple ID on more than one device if you are the user of both devices. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 5:40 PM in response to KRLOSB

On the other phone open Settings and tap on the log in message at the top of the screen, then enter the Apple ID and password.

You should only use the same Apple ID on more than one device if you are the user of both devices. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Nov 1, 2023 7:13 AM in response to shar217

You don’t set up a second account; you log out of the current account, then either log in with an existing Apple ID or create a new one if you don’t have your own currently.

• Open Settings
  • Tap on the name at the top
  • Tap Sign Out (scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • (You will have to enter the password for that account)
  • When prompted to keep data on the phone, choose to keep it
  • Either log in to a different account or create a new account.

Jun 1, 2024 9:39 AM in response to KRLOSB

So when apple first released the iphone my husband and i used the same ID because there was no "Family Plan"

option. There was no way to share music which is what we used it for besides a cell phone. Because we are married we dont mind sharing music and only very recently after the latest update has this now become a problem because voicemail messages are being shared. Yes it is a pain to see the same photos but who cares. We use the family plan for our kids so they can have seperate id's which they will need as they leave the nest.

Text messages do not seem to be a problem and i just turn off icloud for texts since i really dont care about texting or social media. Is there a way to stop the voicemail messages which have nothing to do with my phone since it is not my phone these are showing up for? Why whould voicemail be tied to the users Apple ID it is a function of the cellular carrier? Can i call the carrier and have them block the access to the other phone?

Changing our lives around and starting over is not really worth it. how would i get 15 years of data from one phone to the other?

How I can add another iPhone to my Apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.