Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone continuity camera not working

iPhone continuity camera appears no longer to work on ios 16.5.1 (c). When I run Facetime on Mac, and choose iPhone camera, the iPhone displays a black screen with only two options PAUSE or DISCONNECT, neither of which buttons does anything. About ten seconds later the link is broken and the iphone returns to the home. I'm on iPhone 13 Pro, and this worked a week or so ago when I first tested it, so it looks as if the latest iOS update has broken the feature.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2023 8:33 AM

I have the same issue.

Looks like it is an MacOS / iOS update problem.

It is not an issue of connecting or getting Continuity Camera to show up as a device for the app that would want to use it as camera or mic input. That all works fine. - There is simply no video stream delivered once the connection is established. Black is all you get.

[Edited by Moderator]

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2023 8:33 AM in response to baldoyler

I have the same issue.

Looks like it is an MacOS / iOS update problem.

It is not an issue of connecting or getting Continuity Camera to show up as a device for the app that would want to use it as camera or mic input. That all works fine. - There is simply no video stream delivered once the connection is established. Black is all you get.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 8, 2024 9:52 PM in response to baldoyler

Hello baldoyler,

You're right, there have been reports of iPhone Continuity Camera not working properly on iOS 16.5.1. first Install the latest software updates for both your iPhone and Mac. This includes any macOS updates, iOS updates, facetime app update.

Check for these settings:

iPhone: Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff. Check if "Continuity Camera" is turned on.

Mac: Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth and check if your iPhone is connected under "Devices.

Both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and have Bluetooth enabled

If your Mac is using AirPlay or Sidecar, Continuity Camera might not work wirelessly

If none of these works try Reset Network Settings On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset. Choose "Reset Network Settings." This will erase saved Wi-Fi passwords and network settings.

Apr 9, 2024 7:37 AM in response to baldoyler

In my case, I just solved with a reboot.

After rebooting the Mac and iPhone, it worked.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone reboot did it.

This morning, Continuity Camera stopped working on my OBS and video calls. Yesterday, it had worked just fine.

Disabling and re-enabling Continuity Camera in my iPhone did not work, nor did reconnecting to the same wifi, checking Bluetooth connectivity, or rebooting the Mac.

After rebooting my iPhone, it worked just fine.

(For reference, MacBook Pro 16 M1 Pro 2021 with MacOS 13.6, iPhone 15 Pro Max with iOS 17.4.1)

iPhone continuity camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.