Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Ethernet Connection via Splitter?

I have an Ethernet cable run from my Mac in my office to my Apple TV in my living room. I also have a PS3 in the living room. Can I use a simple splitter (as shown in the link below) to get both the AppleTV and the PS3 online?

http://www.cellularfactory.com/deals/item-40044_1013.html?eng=dn

3GHz Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 12GB RAM

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 3:20 PM

9 replies

Aug 20, 2010 1:04 AM in response to Raymond Fox

Raymond Fox wrote:
Thanks Niel. Somehow I got it in my head that I needed some kind of $100 router to split the line or it wouldn't work properly. Nice to know a 69¢ piece of plastic will fill the bill.

A small 4 port Netgear switch cost me about £20 some time ago, I'd imagine you'd get one for $20-$30 at most, probably far less, and for AppleTV you don't need Gbps ports as AppleTv is only 10/100 Ethernet, though you might consider more modern spec if price differential was small.

Aug 23, 2010 10:24 AM in response to capaho

One more thing to consider, it's true that the ATV maxes out at 100 Mbps on its Ethernet port, but the PS3's Ethernet port is a gigabit port, so you might want to consider a faster switch if the PS3 will be connected to it.<</div>

Yes, that's what I meant by a bottleneck for the PS3, though I may not have used the right terminology. Thanks much for the input.

Share Ethernet Connection via Splitter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.