I can no longer highlight text on my new MacBook Air like I always did on my old one. Why has this changed?

I can no longer highlight text on many apps on my new MacBook Air like I always did on my old one. Why has this changed as it keeps highlighting one word for a definition?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 3:20 PM

Nothing has changed in the methods of selecting, you're using exactly the same software (OS and App) as you were on the old machine. The difference is in settings for the trackpad, and you might have forgotten some custom changes you made years ago.

I think the one that is trapping you is that a two fingers press on the trackpad is the secondary click, it behaves like right clicking a mouse and pops the context menu. Take a look at the options in  > System Settings > Trackpad.

As far as guides goes, there are some clues in Apple's support docs, these two I found easily but there are probably many more if you search Apple Support

Use Multi-Touch gestures on your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Air trackpad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 3:20 PM in response to jebref

Nothing has changed in the methods of selecting, you're using exactly the same software (OS and App) as you were on the old machine. The difference is in settings for the trackpad, and you might have forgotten some custom changes you made years ago.

I think the one that is trapping you is that a two fingers press on the trackpad is the secondary click, it behaves like right clicking a mouse and pops the context menu. Take a look at the options in  > System Settings > Trackpad.

As far as guides goes, there are some clues in Apple's support docs, these two I found easily but there are probably many more if you search Apple Support

Use Multi-Touch gestures on your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Air trackpad - Apple Support

Jul 18, 2023 2:58 PM in response to ku4hx

Notes, Outlook, Finder, and Chrome sometimes. I tried it on this thread and it won't let me highlight it but brings up the dictionary for the word my cursor is on. The method I have always used and still works on Work and Excel is to hold down the lower left corner of the touch pad and swipe with my right finger across the pad.

Jul 18, 2023 6:40 PM in response to Branta_uk

I am familiar with the right click simulator of the 2 finger touch which stayed the same. I think you guided me in the right direction though as I turned off Haptic Touch in the Trackpad settings. I'll try that for a while but it seems to have done the trick for Notes and Outlook.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I can no longer highlight text on my new MacBook Air like I always did on my old one. Why has this changed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.