Could not load Software Update preference pane for Monterey 12.6.3 for Update to 12.6.7

I am trying to update Monterey 12.6.3 on my 2015 Mac to Monterey 12.6.7 and I keep getting the same error:

Could not load Software Update preference pane. What is happening and what do I need to correct or change

to update to 12.6.7? Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, 12.6

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 5:58 PM

6 replies

Jul 19, 2023 4:13 AM in response to TOADY

To add to previous contribution

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts.

1A - If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences

2 - Worst case - Restart in Recovery Mode and choose Reinstall macOS. This in theory will pull the latest version of Monterey available and commence the installation.

Could not load Software Update preference pane for Monterey 12.6.3 for Update to 12.6.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.