Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

What to do if I opened an attachment in a phishing email on my iPhone?

I received a phishing email with PayPal and McAfee logos. Just happened that I’ve ordered something through Amazon. Without much thinking, I opened the email. As soon as it’s done, the attachment is downloaded. The attachment has an extension.jpg. I can see the content of the attachment which is disguised as an order.

My question is: have I done any harm to my iPhone, which has the latest security updates? I haven’t entered any person information. Although the attachment has an extension.jpg, I cannot be 100% sure that’s the case. Do I need to worry that a virus, ransomware or malware has been installed on my iPhone to steal my personal data or even lock me out of my iPhone?

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 3:01 AM

See -> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

⤵️

If you receive a suspicious email or SMS text message that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, please email it to reportphishing@apple.com

How to report suspicious emails, messages, and calls

• If you receive a suspicious email that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, please forward it to reportphishing@apple.com.1  
  • To report a suspicious SMS text message that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, take a screenshot of the message and email the screenshot to reportphishing@apple.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious emails that you receive in your iCloud.com, me.com, or mac.com Inbox, send them to abuse@icloud.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious messages that you receive through Messages, tap Report Junk under the message. You can also block unwanted messages and calls.
  • Report scam phone calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at reportfraud.ftc.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

After you reported, delete the message and see -> Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 3:01 AM in response to Marlin9107

See -> Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

⤵️

If you receive a suspicious email or SMS text message that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, please email it to reportphishing@apple.com

How to report suspicious emails, messages, and calls

• If you receive a suspicious email that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, please forward it to reportphishing@apple.com.1  
  • To report a suspicious SMS text message that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, take a screenshot of the message and email the screenshot to reportphishing@apple.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious emails that you receive in your iCloud.com, me.com, or mac.com Inbox, send them to abuse@icloud.com.
  • To report spam or other suspicious messages that you receive through Messages, tap Report Junk under the message. You can also block unwanted messages and calls.
  • Report scam phone calls to the Federal Trade Commission (U.S. only) at reportfraud.ftc.gov or to your local law enforcement agency.

After you reported, delete the message and see -> Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 20, 2023 3:58 AM in response to Raicya

Thanks Raicya, the email doesn’t look like it’s supposed to be from Apple, so I won’t follow your advice to forward to Apple Support.

On the other hand, would it be possible that you tell me if my iPhone is safe, without any malware or ransomware?

I’ve learnt that as long as I haven’t input any personal data in the email or attachment, I shall be fine. But I also heard that there are malware that can reside in iOS and secretly upload my personal data, say password

s, onto their server. How can I tell if my iPhone is clean?

Thanks

What to do if I opened an attachment in a phishing email on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.