Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Studio M2 Ultra and HDMI issue

Hello!

Just bought Mac Studio M2 Ultra on which I use Apple Studio Display (connected to TB port) and Samsung TV on HDMI (I use a quality HDMI 2.1 cable). The first day everything worked normally, until after 20 minutes of non-use the displays went to sleep.

After "waking up", only Studio Display started working, the TV connected to HDMI was no longer detected (not even in System Preferences). I tried with another cable, with two other displays (Huawei 24" and DELL 27" computer displays), but the same problem.

I went into DFU mode and "revive" again, which didn't help. Even a brand new reinstall of the system (system restore) did not help.

What could happen? Does anyone have a similar problem?

BTW, the same HDMI cable with the same display, connected to my good old Mac Pro 5.1 (with RX580 and Monterey) works normally.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 12:54 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 19, 2023 2:00 AM in response to BDAqua

I bought it on June 16th, but I opened and activated it (due to vacation) on July 3rd. After the whole 2-days reinstallation procedure (I didn't find any solution), I decided to report the issue to the store where I bought it, that was on July 5.

I brought it back on the 6th of July where we plugged it in together and found that indeed the HDMI was not working. :)

I wanted them to check that the product was actually undamaged, without any signs of use, because of possible warranty complications.

They did not replace it with a new one, but they sent it to an official service. From then until today, the status is "under repair"...

I don't know what will they do and especially WHEN. All I know is that I have a lot of work ahead of me, for which I bought such a powerful computer, paid a lot of money for it, and now I don't have it.

A disaster and a very bad experience with an Apple product.

I've been on Apple's platform since 2005 without any particular problems, now I finally wanted to replace my Mac Pro 5.1 after 13 years with something newer, but it seems I made a bad move.

Mar 8, 2024 12:35 PM in response to soundtrackproducer

be absolutely certain your Mac is at least an M2 model, and you are using an adequate HDMI cable.

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

Mac Studio M2 Ultra and HDMI issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.