Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Studio M1 Max udb-c power

Hi.

Can somebody help me figure out the effective power of the M1 Mac Studio Max rear usb-c ports?

Tnx

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 2:00 AM

11 replies

Jul 19, 2023 9:28 AM in response to majortom1967

I'm not by any means a NAS expert, but I pretty sure that a NAS box uses a different drive format than what you need in a normal drive enclosure like the Inateck FE2101.

To use drives in the Inateck FE2101 box, I'm pretty sure that they need to be formatted so the the Mac can read and write to them.

see > Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind that erasing and reformatting will wipe an existing data on the drives.

Jul 19, 2023 12:00 PM in response to den.thed

a True Network Attached Storage (NAS) device will run Linux, and provide simulated MacOS file support inside a file.

But this sounds like it is merely an enclosure, and calling those drives NAS drive is just marketing-speak for "sever-type drives". That implies they might be suitable for 24/7 operation, and not much more.

Be sure to ERASE and new drive you get with Disk Utility. Otherwise, it may try to simulate MacOS files system inside a window New Technology File System (NTFS, the W is silent because there ARE no other Operating systems). if the manufacturers drives are not loaded, such as during recovery, the drives may not be accessible.

In my opinion, and external enclosure should have its own power supply. When the Mac sleeps it will reduce the supplied power, and some enclosures behave 'less than gracefully' when that happens.

Mac Studio M1 Max udb-c power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.