Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

WiFi keeps saying incorrect password

Hello Community,

im using an iPhone pro 12 updated to iOS 16.5.1. I guess since the upgrade to 16.2 the wifi saying incorrect password issues has become a regular occurrence every 2-3 days.

Sometimes resetting the network works, sometimes not. Sometimes restarting the phone works. I’ve also had to restart my modem, that works usually better.

Another ios device doesn’t have this problem, but it doesn’t connect every day to my router. I don’t have such problems using other networks, but i use them not so often. It feels like you have to deal with this problem with network you connect every day. And day after day you deal with this problem more and more often.

it’s frustrating to do this every couple of days. Any tips?

And is it another ploy to push us to a phone upgrade ?

thanks for your help in advance.

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 11:53 AM

this Is happening to me aswell and I just bought this phone 3 weeks ago I don’t think that’s the issue

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 19, 2023 5:54 AM in response to strugg

Reset Network Settings: Only network settings are removed.

• When you reset network settings, previously used networks and VPN settings that weren’t installed by a configuration profile or mobile device management (MDM) are removed. Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and Ask to Join Networks settings remain turned on.
  • To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the configuration profile, then tap Remove Profile. This also removes other settings and accounts provided by the profile. See Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone in this guide.
  • To remove network settings installed by MDM, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the management, then tap Remove Management. This also removes other settings and certificates provided by MDM. See “Mobile device management (MDM)” in the iOS Deployment Reference.
  • Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

If the above fails...

Reset All Settings: All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.

1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
  2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
  3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.

If nothing above works probably it could be your iPhone may have a WiFi radio or antenna problem. In that case, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support and get the hardware tested and if needed repaired/replaced.

Find Locations - Location Selector - Apple

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Get a Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Contact Genius Bar. Manage Reservations - My Reservations - Apple

Apr 24, 2024 5:31 PM in response to strugg

WRONG PASSWORD FINALLY FIXED….for now 🤞

have been dealing with the “wrong password” WiFi problem for 6 months or more i have talked to my internet provider, done all the steps everyone here has recommended tonight i got so aggravated I called apple support and I’m hoping I'm fixed they simply told me to go into settings/general/date and time and turn off set automatically and select my time zone manually I have now been connected to my WiFi longer than I have in months I hope this helps you

Apr 12, 2024 3:19 AM in response to strugg

My iPad continuously reported the wrong Wi-Fi password, even though it was correct. After trying basic troubleshooting like resetting network settings and restarting devices, I found that changing my router’s security setting from WPA2/WPA3 Personal to just WPA2 fixed the problem. This suggests a compatibility issue with the mixed security mode.

Let me know if this solution worked for anyone

WiFi keeps saying incorrect password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.