External Hard Drive for iMac Late 2015

My iMac Late 2015 27" is running extremely slow. I'm thinking I may be able to use an external hard drive to help with that. I have no knowledge about external hard drives and am looking for advice on what to look for or purchase. TIA.

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 10:09 AM

Please take it to your local third party Apple Authorized Service Providerv(meaning NOT an Apple Store) and they should be able to help you out. If you don't know of one, please click Apple Authorized Service Provider Locator (AASP) & Genius Appointment

2 replies

Jul 19, 2023 10:14 AM in response to schindlerv

Hi there!

If you think your Mac might have an issue, you can use this procedure to help gather information on your Mac which will help us troubleshoot your Mac’s problem.

To start, let us know what model your Mac is and what version of macOS you’re using. The simplest way to find out is About This Mac, available by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu  in the upper-left corner of your screen. 

Next, share a screenshot of your Mac’s storage information. In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities, then double-click the Disk Utility icon. (Disk Utility is located in the /Applications/Utilities folder.) Alternatively, click Launchpad in the Dock, type Disk Utility in the search field, then click the Disk Utility icon. Once Disk Utility is open, take a screenshot of the information it automatically opens to, which will be your startup disk. Next, select View > Show All Devices in Disk Utility and select the non-indented disk entry—it’s at the top of the hierarchy. Then, take a screenshot of the newly selected entry. Upload all screenshots here. 

Next, use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac to help determine which hardware component might be at fault. When testing is complete, Apple Diagnostics shows the results, including one or more reference codes.

Learn about Apple Diagnostics reference codes

Let us know which reference codes you receive.

Finally, let us know what antivirus, VPN, or cleaning software you have installed. 

- Jack

External Hard Drive for iMac Late 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.