You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is this apple or a scam?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, 13.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 2:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 2:59 PM

It, and all such messages are scams presented by criminals. Close the offending page and avoid sites that are involved in such bogus advertising tactics.

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popup… - Apple Community

4 replies

Jul 19, 2023 4:20 PM in response to endlessmyst

Scam.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

I love the computer illiteracy of these criminals. Ads.financetrack(2).dll? .dll is the file extension for the Windows version of a dynamically-linked library. The Macintosh has libraries which operate according to a similar concept, but .dll is not the Macintosh convention for naming them.

The criminals are making up names that sound scary, and may even be based on the names of some real Windows malware (don't know – haven't checked), but they're just silly to any developer who knows anything about the Mac development environment.

Oh, joy – my phone is ringing and the phone company is sending me the caller ID "SPAM RISK" even as I type this!

is this apple or a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.