OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 & Yahoo Mail & Google Mail

Im running El Capitan 10.11.6 on Mac Mini and I'm unable to get Yahoo Mail or Google Mail to work. Assuming there is a compatibility issue. Is there an upgrade path for El Capitan to Ventura. Any other options?

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 10:29 AM

WB66JJ wrote:
Is there an upgrade path for El Capitan to Ventura.

No, your Late 2009 Mini is hardware-constrained to running no higher than El Capitan.

Any other options?

I am seeing other reports recently of gmail not working with badly out-of-date versions of Apple Mail like the one in El Capitan. However, for now and as long as you can use FireFox, you should be able to check gmail with the browser.

I doubt Google is supporting the El Capitan version of Safari. Safari versions are inexorably linked to Mac OS versions, so you have no upgrade path for Safari when you have none for your base Mac OS.

Just remember that newer versions of FireFox will no longer support El Capitan, so it is time to consider a computer that is now up to 14 years old. Sad, but that seems to the the way of the world today.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 10:29 AM in response to WB66JJ

WB66JJ wrote:

No, your Late 2009 Mini is hardware-constrained to running no higher than El Capitan.

Any other options?

I am seeing other reports recently of gmail not working with badly out-of-date versions of Apple Mail like the one in El Capitan. However, for now and as long as you can use FireFox, you should be able to check gmail with the browser.

I doubt Google is supporting the El Capitan version of Safari. Safari versions are inexorably linked to Mac OS versions, so you have no upgrade path for Safari when you have none for your base Mac OS.

Just remember that newer versions of FireFox will no longer support El Capitan, so it is time to consider a computer that is now up to 14 years old. Sad, but that seems to the the way of the world today.

Jul 20, 2023 9:59 PM in response to WB66JJ

Google has increased security requirements these days.

In order to connect your old version of Mail to GMail – assuming that Google allows it at all – you may need to create a Google app password (for use only by Mail), as Google's condition for letting you use a "less secure" application.

An alternative might be to use the GMail Web interface.

Jul 20, 2023 10:07 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:

WB66JJ wrote:

The poster who said he had the Late 2009 Mini was Matti Haveri. I don't believe that WB6JJ (the author) has answered den.thed's question yet. So we don't know for certain that he's out of luck. Just that Haveri is.

Looking at the front and back of the Mini is one way to identify it. Another is to select About This Mac, in the Apple () menu, which should reveal the model name (including year and time of year).

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 & Yahoo Mail & Google Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.