Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I am suddenly seeing crypto photos in my phone that I did not take. Not sure how this is happening. What can I do to protect myself?

photos Are appearing in my photos app that I have not taken nor has anyone sent to me. What is going on and how can I stop it? They are Crypto pricing photos as well as a picture of some couple that I don’t know.

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 6:13 PM

Same happened to me - apparent screenshots of crypto trade prices and trade confirmations. Looking at the photo info, it looks like they’ve been imported from WhatsApp. It appears that there was some spam “Cryptocurrentcy Learning Group” chat on my WhatsApp conversations that I was somehow added to. I deleted that chat and am uninstalling WhatsApp for now. Hopefully that solves it.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2024 6:13 PM in response to MissParma73

Same happened to me - apparent screenshots of crypto trade prices and trade confirmations. Looking at the photo info, it looks like they’ve been imported from WhatsApp. It appears that there was some spam “Cryptocurrentcy Learning Group” chat on my WhatsApp conversations that I was somehow added to. I deleted that chat and am uninstalling WhatsApp for now. Hopefully that solves it.

Dec 5, 2023 8:42 AM in response to MissParma73

Have you checked iPhone's Settings>Privacy&Security>Photos to see what apps have requested access to your Photos Library? You may also check Settings>Privacy&Security>Camera. Games may have access that you didn't know about-- just make sure the list is what you think it should be. I just looked at mine, and there's stuff there I never heard of!

Dec 18, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Gianni_Gallo

Gianni! have you experienced it since then?

The same thing happened to me on November 17.

Since then I deleted the crypto junk photos, but they reappeared after 1 week.

I restricted access to the programs and deleted e.g. the Binance app.

The photos appeared again yesterday. Now I disconnect the internet from my phone, do they still appear? I am completely helpless because so far no one - not even Apple - can help.

Mar 10, 2024 12:23 PM in response to MissParma73

I had something similar happen to me, tracked it down to WhatsApp; I had been added to a group message thread by a stranger and they had sent lots of pictures in between text advertising their crypto “services” (ie scam). I removed myself from and deleted the group message and took away WhatsApp ability to access my photos (via the settings : privacy and security : photos).

I am suddenly seeing crypto photos in my phone that I did not take. Not sure how this is happening. What can I do to protect myself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.