how to reset my apple id password

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:49 PM

The best way to reset your Apple ID password is through the settings of a trusted device, such as an iPhone, Mac or iPad. To do this go to settings, your name at the top, password & security, then click on "change password. You can only do this if your device is either password or passcode protected.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can't change it that way you'll have to start account recovery by going to iforgot.apple.com and put in your Apple ID. You'll need to at least know your trusted number to do this. Please see:

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 9:49 PM in response to gedion1

The best way to reset your Apple ID password is through the settings of a trusted device, such as an iPhone, Mac or iPad. To do this go to settings, your name at the top, password & security, then click on "change password. You can only do this if your device is either password or passcode protected.

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you can't change it that way you'll have to start account recovery by going to iforgot.apple.com and put in your Apple ID. You'll need to at least know your trusted number to do this. Please see:

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2023 11:07 AM in response to Libby101a

I’m trying to reset my mom’s password, using my iPhone as the trusted device. I follow all of the steps, get to the part where I enter a new password, being careful to include an upper case, lower case, and a number (it’s more than the minimum 8 characters), reenter the password, touch next and nothing happens. I’ve tried it repeatedly with various passwords. Please, can someone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.