Back up to external drive in exfat.

I always thought you could back up Mac to an external drive using xfat. However, I am reading everywhere where people are having difficulty doing this as. Is Apple changed its way of thinking.

Is APFS the only format read and write to external drive as of July 2023?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 5:27 AM

You can still copy files to an ExFAT formatted drive. You just can't use an ExFAT formatted drive for Time Machine.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jun 7, 2024 11:13 AM in response to prime26

You would be best served to use an APFS formatted drive to backup up your Mac with Time Machine. Here's how it works: Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support. Its format, APFS, is the only one that a Photos library can be backed up to without the possibility of damage.

I use a second backup disk with Carbon Copy Cloner and backup specific folders. It can be set to backup hourly or at any time interval or when it detects a change in the source data. You can't go back in time to recover a certain version of a file like you can with Time Machine.

Jul 21, 2023 5:37 AM in response to prime26

I was used to Macrium, reflect which imaged windows perfectly to an external drive.

I was thinking of going Mac and if I can transfer data as you say, I may still do it.

it may be so that expect can never be used in the past however, if you search the web, every place says that it can.

There is a lot of misleading information out there.

Jul 21, 2023 6:07 AM in response to dialabrain

I was interested in simply imaging or backing up my OS as I do with Windows. I would need to occasionally use a drive to communicate between the platforms.

It does not seem feasible so I will continue with Windows 11, however, I do appreciate the information.

Btw,I do finnd a person on YouTube to vbe very knowledgeable with Mac and demonstratsb mac operations well.

.I think he is Gary and may be well known to the forum.

Back up to external drive in exfat.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.