Cellular on Apple Watch stopped working

I have a Series 4 Apple Watch with SIM card paired with iPhone 6s with no SIM card. Service has been with AT&T - paying monthly charge for the Apple Watch. This configuration is for my father. This configuration has worked and even called 911 2x on his behalf. The Apple Watch Settings now shows, "No SIM" - the Apple Watch app Cellular Setup on the iPhone is grayed out and not accessible. AT&T says we need to pay for a cellular service for my fathers iPhone for his watch to work? Has something changed - version support?

Apple Watch Series 4

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 8:49 AM

The Apple Watch needs to be on the same cellular carrier plan as an iPhone. If you were able to pull this off without that before then that's unusual.

Please see this article: Use Apple Watch with a cellular network - Apple Support

2 replies

Jul 24, 2023 10:08 AM in response to Libby101a

Thank you for the reply. Because this Apple Watch was initially set up with this configuration, we have been paying a monthly fee for the watch to use the ATT network, the watch has successfully called 911 2x and the watch has been working for a couple of years now I kind of consider it a bug that it has stopped working. I read the product documentation that states an iPhone needs to be paired, but if the configuration worked once then it should continue working unless a change has been made - unless there is a bug introduced or the configuration is considered some type of loophole that is now closed. In either case the result is a need to purchase an iPhone & make another monthly payment to have the same functionality we previously had for an older person that will not be using the iPhone.

Cellular on Apple Watch stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.