why am I unable to update firmware on my AirPods Max?

Did everything prescribed by the apple support website. Nothing works

AirPods Max

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 7:58 AM

It's interesting, updating the firmware, was not the only problem I was having. I was having trouble also pairing the AirPods Max with my various devices. The pairing itself was difficult and would often take, that is, it would lose its pairing and have to reestablish. Quite frankly, I was spoiled. I have some AirPods Pro which have been wonderful, totally seamless, everything I could've ever asked for. I thought perhaps I was expecting too much of the AirPods Max, so I took the Max's to the Apple Store to get the firmware updated only to find that my AirPods Max are counterfeit, the serial number on them has been used hundreds of times through out the world. I'm now attempting to get a refund from the seller

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Branta_uk

It's interesting, updating the firmware, was not the only problem I was having. I was having trouble also pairing the AirPods Max with my various devices. The pairing itself was difficult and would often take, that is, it would lose its pairing and have to reestablish. Quite frankly, I was spoiled. I have some AirPods Pro which have been wonderful, totally seamless, everything I could've ever asked for. I thought perhaps I was expecting too much of the AirPods Max, so I took the Max's to the Apple Store to get the firmware updated only to find that my AirPods Max are counterfeit, the serial number on them has been used hundreds of times through out the world. I'm now attempting to get a refund from the seller

Jul 29, 2023 6:19 AM in response to prairiepoet

Apple Support did not resolve my firmware update problem.

Their response and remedy is disappointing.

I have two Apple AirPods Max with the same defect, that was not cause by a modification or damage after we opened our packaging. These devices were gifts, and were received new, in the original packaging. If there is a unrepairable problem, it must have occurred before point of sale.

I have many other Apple products, but this level of support will cause me pause in the future.

Jul 23, 2023 7:13 AM in response to prairiepoet

You need to be patient and follow Apple's advice in About firmware updates for AirPods - Apple Support. Be aware the update might not happen immediately, it could be several hours or even another attempt on a different day. In general it is "nice to have the latest version" but it is not critical and your AirPods will still work.

If you are having problems with the performance of your AirPods, or it is vital that their software is updated, please Contact Apple Support as noted in the support document, or arrange to visit the Genius Bar at a convenient Apple Store.

why am I unable to update firmware on my AirPods Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.