Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iPhone notification badges

How do the notification badges work on the latest iPhone? Google has made the Android badges totally useless on the new version of their OS.

An example. On my old 2019 Android phone if I had 3 unread text messages the number 3 would appear on my message icon, simple enough. If I went in and just read one message but left the other 2 unread the icon would change to a 2. On the latest Android OS it doesn't change to a 2, it removes the badge completely and I then have no reminder for the other 2 unread messages.

So, how does the iPhone work with these badges?

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Hello Mark C 1970!

To learn how the Lock Screen notifications in iOS work, please see: Use notifications on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

5 replies

Jul 22, 2023 11:45 PM in response to H1290

Thanks for the reply. That link clarifies how the notifications work on iPhones but not their behaviour.

If I get notifications for 3 unread messages but I only read 1 of them, will the notifications for the other 2 unread messages be cleared or will they remain to remind me? On the new Android they are cleared and it is a nightmare to try to remember to keep rechecking your text messages, emails, FB Messenger ...

iPhone notification badges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.