Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

how do i reset my passcode

I forgot my passcode from my phone and would like to have a new passcode.

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 11:11 AM

Hi there,

Try and follow these steps first, you will need to run iOS 15.2 or higher for that

If you're using an eSIM, contact your carrier before trying these steps and ask for a QR code to set up your eSIM again.

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try to enter your passcode five times until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later.
  2. When you're able to, continue to enter your passcode until the "Security Lockout" screen appears and you get the Erase [Device] option in the bottom corner of the screen.
  3. Tap Erase [Device], then tap Erase [Device] again to confirm.
  4. Enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID on your device.
  5. Tap Erase [Device] to permanently delete all of your data and settings.
  6. When your device restarts, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device again, restore your data and settings from a backup, and set a new passcode.

If you can't follow these steps, you can use a computer to reset your device.

you might find these links helpful as well

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 11:11 AM in response to piletji

Hi there,

Try and follow these steps first, you will need to run iOS 15.2 or higher for that

If you're using an eSIM, contact your carrier before trying these steps and ask for a QR code to set up your eSIM again.

1. From your device's Lock Screen, try to enter your passcode five times until the "[Device] Unavailable" screen appears and your device asks you to try again later.
  2. When you're able to, continue to enter your passcode until the "Security Lockout" screen appears and you get the Erase [Device] option in the bottom corner of the screen.
  3. Tap Erase [Device], then tap Erase [Device] again to confirm.
  4. Enter your Apple ID password to sign out of your Apple ID on your device.
  5. Tap Erase [Device] to permanently delete all of your data and settings.
  6. When your device restarts, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your device again, restore your data and settings from a backup, and set a new passcode.

If you can't follow these steps, you can use a computer to reset your device.

you might find these links helpful as well

If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

how do i reset my passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.