Phone13

Need instruction to switch ringtone from vibrate to soune?

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 12:13 PM

rjgary wrote:

Ringtones don't have a vibrate setting.

A ringtone can be set for the whole iPhone, and one or more ringtones can be set for specific contacts in the Contacts app.

Separately, either the whole iPhone or specific contacts can be set to vibrate. Or not.

Tapping the Edit option on a contact entry in Contacts app will show ringtones and vibrate settings for that selected contact.

General info: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support

Ringtone how-to: Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

As an example... I use a silent ringtone to mute unwanted calls. On the contacts, the silent ringtone plays (nothing, no sound), and vibrate is disabled. Calls or texts from those sources (effectively) go right to voicemail or right to Messages—no sounds, no vibrate, no disturbances until I am ready to view the info.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 12:13 PM in response to rjgary

rjgary wrote:

Ringtones don't have a vibrate setting.

A ringtone can be set for the whole iPhone, and one or more ringtones can be set for specific contacts in the Contacts app.

Separately, either the whole iPhone or specific contacts can be set to vibrate. Or not.

Tapping the Edit option on a contact entry in Contacts app will show ringtones and vibrate settings for that selected contact.

General info: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support

Ringtone how-to: Use tones and ringtones with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

As an example... I use a silent ringtone to mute unwanted calls. On the contacts, the silent ringtone plays (nothing, no sound), and vibrate is disabled. Calls or texts from those sources (effectively) go right to voicemail or right to Messages—no sounds, no vibrate, no disturbances until I am ready to view the info.

Phone13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.