ipad home screen rotation problem

I will start by placing my iPad Pro in Landscape orientation. Then I will use an app (any app) in that position. Later, I will want to use a different app that only works in Portrait orientation. I close out of all apps and place the iPad in the Portrait orientation. But when I go to open the app, I get these options - and only these options!

What is going on?

james’s iPad (2)

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 1:56 PM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Doctor Q

Hey there Doctor Q,

It looks like you might be touching and holding the app. If that's correct, are you able to just tap to open the app? If it still appears with only those options, then try working through the troubleshooting steps below to help:

Close and reopen the app
Force the app to close. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

Restart your device
Restart your iPhone or restart your iPad. Then open the app to see if it works as expected.

Check for updates
To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, tap your profile icon, then scroll down to see if updates are available. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your iPhone or iPad.

Delete the app, then redownload it
Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Continue with the steps under "Get more help" should this persist:

If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Take care!

Jul 23, 2023 1:11 PM in response to hc1111

I don't touch the app while reorienting my iPad. I handle the tablet by the edges only. The screen rotates as expected, but then when I touch the app once (lightly) I always get what you see on the screenshot. The only way to get my iPad back to normal is to Power Down and then Power Up. This always restores normal function.

I always install the latest updates!

ipad home screen rotation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.