how do i unlock my first gen ipad if i dont know the apple id or password?

i am trying to use my first generation Ipad but i do not know the apple id or password because i have used a different email that I don't remember.

iPad (1st generation)

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 3:39 PM

3 replies

Jul 22, 2023 4:29 PM in response to FlipFlop_

Hello,

Without knowing the iPad passcode you will not be able to unlock it but may be able to erase it, then set it up as new or restore from a backup. If you are at the point of your iPad showing Activation Lock you will not be able to erase it if you cannot figure out and access the Apple ID you set it up with, unless you still have proof of purchase documentation.

If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

"If you can't find your Apple ID or reset your password, you'll lose access to your account and might be unable to use or reactivate your device. To help prevent this, visit your Apple ID account page periodically to review and update your account information."

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

"If you need help removing Activation Lock and have proof of purchase documentation, you can start an Activation Lock support request."

Something that the article sberman provided doesn't mention about finding your Apple ID. You may be able to reach out to friends or family that could search for old emails from you. They may find your old iCloud email address. Also, depending on how long ago you created and used that Apple ID you may have had a rescue email address set up. If you, friends, or family can find an email from you using a non-Apple address you may find your Apple ID by regaining access to that non-Apple email account.

"Rescue email address

Apple uses this to send you important account and security related information. Most people have a notification email address instead of a rescue email address. But if you don't use two-factor authentication or two-step verification (learn how to check what security method you use), you have the option to add a rescue email address to your account for more security. You can see this option when you sign in to appleid.apple.com.

Before you can use a new or updated Apple ID, we'll send you a verification email to make sure that the email address belongs to you."

I hope this helps.

how do i unlock my first gen ipad if i dont know the apple id or password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.