Moving photos to cloud, where does the iPhoto library file sit?

Now that I’ve got a decent fibre connection, I want to move my photos to iCloud. Currently I keep my photos on an external drive, which are all bundled into the iPhoto library file. I’ve looked at several YouTubes on the subject, but I’m not clear about one thing … when transferring photos to iCloud does the iPhoto library file simply relocate to iCloud in the same way that I moved the iPhoto library from my internal MacBook Pro disc to the external disc. I want to do the same thing with iTunes and noticed that iTunes has a similar library file so I assume what goes for photos goes with iTunes right?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 11:10 AM

Your library folder stays on your actual device. When you turn on iCloud for photos, all your photos sync to iCloud and go into iCloud. You can then view them at iCloud.com/photos. If you use the same Apple ID on all your devices, then you can turn on iCloud Photos on all your devices and sync your photos across all your devices.

Please see these articles for more information:

Use iCloud Photos on iCloud.com - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 11:10 AM in response to alex hall

Your library folder stays on your actual device. When you turn on iCloud for photos, all your photos sync to iCloud and go into iCloud. You can then view them at iCloud.com/photos. If you use the same Apple ID on all your devices, then you can turn on iCloud Photos on all your devices and sync your photos across all your devices.

Please see these articles for more information:

Use iCloud Photos on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Moving photos to cloud, where does the iPhoto library file sit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.