Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Accidentally deleted important text in my Apple NOTES app. Only use iPad and iPhone

I highlighted important text that I was going to indent or tab, and the whole thing was erased.

I have read other threads on the same situation, but the solutions don’t seem to work for me.

Below are the 3 things I’ve already tried:

1. I disabled the “shake“ function long ago as it was continuously causing problems, so I can’t do that.
  2. I don’t see a “bin“ function, nor do I see a “recently deleted“ folder, so neither of those are an option.
  3. I went to my other device in order to try to capture the old text, but when I went to select it, the system updated it to the current version which erased my old text right in front of my eyes.

As hard as it is to believe that the designers of this app didn’t include an “undo” feature, I refuse to believe they didn’t create some kind of back door way to recover accidentally deleted text in a note.

Other than the three ways I tried above, has anyone else found a way to recover accidentally deleted text from an apple note on iPad or iPhone?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies…

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 3:05 PM

iTunes-wontwrk wrote:

I highlighted important text that I was going to indent or tab, and the whole thing was erased.

I assume “the whole thing” means the text you highlighted, and does not mean the entire note (as I thought when first reading your post).

There is in fact a way to undo typing not requiring “Shake to Undo”. Here it is, from the iPhone User Guide:

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 3:05 PM in response to iTunes-wontwrk

iTunes-wontwrk wrote:

I assume “the whole thing” means the text you highlighted, and does not mean the entire note (as I thought when first reading your post).

There is in fact a way to undo typing not requiring “Shake to Undo”. Here it is, from the iPhone User Guide:

Accidentally deleted important text in my Apple NOTES app. Only use iPad and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.