Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

How to disable Apple Music?

I was searching how to uninstall Apple Music on MacOS but found it's sadly not possible.

Is there any way to deactivate it or make it so that it cannot start?

It keeps starting randomly, mainly when I use my headphones for meetings and then it interrupts the meeting which is embarrassing in front of important customers.

I'm using the MacBook for business and I don't listen to Music while I work because I need to talk to people, either in person or during virtual meetings.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 9:02 AM

The issue here is that many Apple customers, myself included, need to use their macos devices in a business context, for which it is also necessary to use e.g. bluetooth headsets on occasion. Opening Apple music automatically when these devices are connected is unprofessional.

Some related threads suggest to install brew and use a workaround app - this is inappropriate, with respect to the brew community, I wouldn't use a 3rd party package manager on my work device.

Apple, please provide a switch to disable this behaviour.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2023 9:02 AM in response to XykonEQ2

The issue here is that many Apple customers, myself included, need to use their macos devices in a business context, for which it is also necessary to use e.g. bluetooth headsets on occasion. Opening Apple music automatically when these devices are connected is unprofessional.

Some related threads suggest to install brew and use a workaround app - this is inappropriate, with respect to the brew community, I wouldn't use a 3rd party package manager on my work device.

Apple, please provide a switch to disable this behaviour.

Nov 29, 2023 3:06 PM in response to XykonEQ2

Not sure if this will help, but I found a solution for disabling the auto-open when downloading stuff from Safari by going to Safari>Settings>General, and then unchecking the box at the bottom that reads "Open 'safe' files after downloading.

My biggest issue was the Apple Music app automatically opening when I downloaded audio files. After unchecking that box, I no longer experience the auto-open. This may or may not fix your issue.

Jul 24, 2023 4:17 AM in response to Limnos

I'm either on a Zoom meeting or Teams call and then suddenly Music launches and steals the focus.

I just want to find out how to make the app not being able to start on it's own but only if I actually want it to start.

This is a fresh install of MacOS 13.4.1 with only Teams and Zoom installed. But this already happened before I installed the two apps after I paired my bluetooth headset. I'm wondering if, when MacOS sees a Bluetooth headset, that it thinks the user wants to listen to Music and thus starts the app. There should be a setting somewhere not to do that because not everyone connects a headset to their computer in order to listen to Music.

Jul 24, 2023 4:11 AM in response to XykonEQ2

I believe you mean the Music application and not the Apple Music service itself.

Apple considers certain applications to be part of the operating system and does not permit interfering with the system. You may need to search beyond this forum for a method.

A solution could instead involve finding out why this happens. If a browser is involved you could have a setting in the browser to automatically open files of a certain type when they are downloaded to your computer. You would need to disable that in the browser's Preferences.

Dec 4, 2023 8:58 AM in response to XykonEQ2

Please install a video player for mac such as: Infuse, Kodi, VLC media player, Total Video Player, QuickTime Player, Total Video Player, MKPlayer, Elmedia Video Player,...

It will replace Apple Music and will not launch any apps when you connect bluetooth headset

I use Infuse, I feel very satisfied, Apple Music not start automatically whenever macOS detects a bluetooth headset is connected and I using Infuse to watch OTT IPTV television

How to disable Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.