Volume Buttons, switch on/off TV not working on Apple Remote after tvos 16.6. update yesterday 24.07.2023

Yesterday I updated my Apple TV 4K Model A1842 to tvos 16.6 (20M73) and after that I restarted the Apple TV box and the Apple Remote. But since then I cannot switch on the TV (Sony) or switch it off via the remote as before. Also the volume up and down buttons are not working on the remote.

When I got to the settings in the Apple TV under Remote and Devices and then to the section Home Cinema Control and select the setting "Turn on Your TV with Your Remote" (which is off) there comes a messaging saying "You can't use System Control with this configuration".

As I said it all worked fine before the tvos 16.6. update.

Looking forward to any help or hints you might have

Thanks and Cheers

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 6:55 AM

Try resetting the HDMI connection by disconnecting the HDMI cable(s) on both ends, then reconnect. A cold restart of all the HDMI devices would have the same effect, if unplugging is impractical.

… after that I restarted the Apple TV box and the Apple Remote.

Did you restart the remote as described in this support document?

If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 6:55 AM in response to quebonito

Try resetting the HDMI connection by disconnecting the HDMI cable(s) on both ends, then reconnect. A cold restart of all the HDMI devices would have the same effect, if unplugging is impractical.

… after that I restarted the Apple TV box and the Apple Remote.

Did you restart the remote as described in this support document?

If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support

Aug 7, 2023 12:15 PM in response to quebonito

This happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME there's an update to my Apple TV.

And it's well over a year this is going on. It's well past time for Apple to fix this.

I set my device to never update because of this issue.

None of the fixes listed here (so far) work. I always have to factory reset the device.

• Restarting the device doesn't work
  • Unplugging the HDMI cables doesn't work
  • Unplugging all cables doesn't work
  • Pluggin the Apple TV on another TV doesn't work

More details about the issues is:

• The power button of the remote don't work
  • Volume button don't work
  • Remote Control restart doesn't work

Volume Buttons, switch on/off TV not working on Apple Remote after tvos 16.6. update yesterday 24.07.2023

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.