You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS/iOS Airdrop Not Sending or Receiving to/from iOS/MacOS Device Contacts (me)

With MacOS 13.5 on both a MacBook Air and an iMac when I try to Airdrop a photo to my iPhone iOS 16.6 (me) the Contact name/photo icon (the setting is for Contacts only on all devices) appears immediately in the Airdrop sheet, however when I tap on the icon it highlights briefly but nothing happens. When I change the Mac setting to Allow Everyone for 10 minutes, the contact icon remains, and the name I have given the phone, e.g. My iPhone 14 Pro then appears, and when I tap that the Macs do start to send the photo and I get notified on the phone.

In reverse, when I try to Airdrop a photo from my iPhone to either Mac, under Devices an icon with a photo of my iMac (or MacBook Air) appears with the name of the device, but tapping the icon again does nothing although it says "Waiting...". When I change the Mac setting to Everyone, then Other People appears with the name of my Mac and sending works.

At this point, I can only use Airdrop when I have the Everyone setting on all OSs.

How can I fix this? (all devices have been updated with the latest OSs and restarted).

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 6:34 PM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2023 7:27 AM in response to DonnieM51

DonnieM51 wrote:

With MacOS 13.5 on both a MacBook Air and an iMac when I try to Airdrop a photo to my iPhone iOS 16.6 (me) the Contact name/photo icon (the setting is for Contacts only on all devices) appears immediately in the Airdrop sheet, however when I tap on the icon it highlights briefly but nothing happens. When I change the Mac setting to Allow Everyone for 10 minutes, the contact icon remains, and the name I have given the phone, e.g. My iPhone 14 Pro then appears, and when I tap that the Macs do start to send the photo and I get notified on the phone.

In reverse, when I try to Airdrop a photo from my iPhone to either Mac, under Devices an icon with a photo of my iMac (or MacBook Air) appears with the name of the device, but tapping the icon again does nothing although it says "Waiting...". When I change the Mac setting to Everyone, then Other People appears with the name of my Mac and sending works.

At this point, I can only use Airdrop when I have the Everyone setting on all OSs.

How can I fix this? (all devices have been updated with the latest OSs and restarted).

I would use what works.

You can restart all devices...and compare your results

you can try sign out of ApplID and back in...

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV and Mac ...

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

MacOS/iOS Airdrop Not Sending or Receiving to/from iOS/MacOS Device Contacts (me)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.