iOS 16.6, iPhone 13, battery drain

I didn’t get unusual battery drain on the previous update, as many were getting. But with iOS 16.6 my battery usage is significantly greater than it was with 16.5.2

Anyone else having similar battery problems?

iPhone 13

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:32 PM

The measure of battery health deterioration/drainage is subjective and can vary depending on individual usage patterns and not iOS version updates. There is no universal standard to determine whether the battery health deterioration/drainage is normal or abnormal because it heavily relies on how the battery is used and maintained.

Protect & Prolong the Life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

To prolong the life of your iPhone battery, you can follow these tips and best practices:

1. Optimize Battery Charging: Enable the "Optimized Battery Charging" feature on your iPhone. It helps reduce the wear on the battery by slowing down the battery aging process. You can find this option in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  2. Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can negatively impact your battery life. Avoid exposing your iPhone to excessive heat or cold, such as leaving it in direct sunlight or in a freezing car.If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold – Apple Support (UK)
  3. Use Original Chargers and Cables: Always use Apple's original chargers and cables or certified third-party accessories. Low-quality chargers or cables can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support (IN)
  4. Avoid Draining the Battery to Zero: Charge it whenever the charge becomes lower than 20%. The rest is up to you when to charge. how long to charge, how often to charge, which adapter to use starting from 5W to 140W USB-C Power Adapter etc.
  5. Optimize Display Settings: Adjust your display settings to optimize battery life. Lower the screen brightness, enable auto-brightness, and use shorter screen timeout durations. Adjust the display and text size on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  6. Minimize Background App Refresh: Limit the number of apps allowed to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and disable it for apps that don't require real-time updates. Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  7. Disable Push Email: Push email notifications can drain your battery quickly. Instead, set your email accounts to fetch data manually or at longer intervals. You can change this setting in Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data.
  8. Disable Unnecessary Notifications: Reduce the number of unnecessary notifications you receive. Go to Settings > Notifications and customize which apps can send you notifications.
  9. Limit Location Services: Some apps use GPS and location services in the background, which can drain your battery. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and disable location access for apps that don't require it.
  10. Update iOS: Keep your iPhone's operating system up to date. Apple regularly releases updates that can include optimizations and improvements for battery life.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  11. Enable Low Power Mode: When your battery is running low, enable Low Power Mode in Settings > Battery. It reduces power consumption by disabling non-essential features.
  12. Avoid Battery Drain during Storage: If you need to store your iPhone for an extended period, make sure to charge it to around 50% first. This helps prevent the battery from draining completely, which can be harmful.
  13. Disable Dynamic Backgrounds and Motion Effects: Dynamic backgrounds and motion effects use additional processing power and can impact battery life. Use a static wallpaper and disable parallax motion effects in Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.
  14. Limit Widgets: Widgets on the Today View can consume battery life. Remove or limit the number of widgets displayed by swiping right on the home screen, scrolling to the bottom, and tapping Edit.
  15. Adjust Auto-Lock Time: Shorten the auto-lock time on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock, and select a shorter time interval to turn off the screen more quickly when not in use.
  16. Use Wi-Fi Instead of Cellular Data: When possible, connect to Wi-Fi networks instead of relying on cellular data. Using Wi-Fi consumes less power than using cellular data.
  17. Enable Airplane Mode in Low or No Coverage Areas: When you're in an area with low or no cellular coverage, enabling Airplane Mode can prevent your iPhone from constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery.

By following these tips, you can help prolong the battery life of your iPhone and maintain its overall performance over time.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 11:32 PM in response to Jubilee6936

The measure of battery health deterioration/drainage is subjective and can vary depending on individual usage patterns and not iOS version updates. There is no universal standard to determine whether the battery health deterioration/drainage is normal or abnormal because it heavily relies on how the battery is used and maintained.

Protect & Prolong the Life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

1. Optimize Battery Charging: Enable the "Optimized Battery Charging" feature on your iPhone. It helps reduce the wear on the battery by slowing down the battery aging process. You can find this option in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  2. Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can negatively impact your battery life. Avoid exposing your iPhone to excessive heat or cold, such as leaving it in direct sunlight or in a freezing car.If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold – Apple Support (UK)
  3. Use Original Chargers and Cables: Always use Apple's original chargers and cables or certified third-party accessories. Low-quality chargers or cables can damage the battery and reduce its lifespan. Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support (IN)
  4. Avoid Draining the Battery to Zero: Charge it whenever the charge becomes lower than 20%. The rest is up to you when to charge. how long to charge, how often to charge, which adapter to use starting from 5W to 140W USB-C Power Adapter etc.
  5. Optimize Display Settings: Adjust your display settings to optimize battery life. Lower the screen brightness, enable auto-brightness, and use shorter screen timeout durations. Adjust the display and text size on iPhone - Apple Support (IN)
  6. Minimize Background App Refresh: Limit the number of apps allowed to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and disable it for apps that don't require real-time updates. Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  7. Disable Push Email: Push email notifications can drain your battery quickly. Instead, set your email accounts to fetch data manually or at longer intervals. You can change this setting in Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data.
  8. Disable Unnecessary Notifications: Reduce the number of unnecessary notifications you receive. Go to Settings > Notifications and customize which apps can send you notifications.
  9. Limit Location Services: Some apps use GPS and location services in the background, which can drain your battery. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and disable location access for apps that don't require it.
  10. Update iOS: Keep your iPhone's operating system up to date. Apple regularly releases updates that can include optimizations and improvements for battery life.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  11. Enable Low Power Mode: When your battery is running low, enable Low Power Mode in Settings > Battery. It reduces power consumption by disabling non-essential features.
  12. Avoid Battery Drain during Storage: If you need to store your iPhone for an extended period, make sure to charge it to around 50% first. This helps prevent the battery from draining completely, which can be harmful.
  13. Disable Dynamic Backgrounds and Motion Effects: Dynamic backgrounds and motion effects use additional processing power and can impact battery life. Use a static wallpaper and disable parallax motion effects in Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.
  14. Limit Widgets: Widgets on the Today View can consume battery life. Remove or limit the number of widgets displayed by swiping right on the home screen, scrolling to the bottom, and tapping Edit.
  15. Adjust Auto-Lock Time: Shorten the auto-lock time on your iPhone. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock, and select a shorter time interval to turn off the screen more quickly when not in use.
  16. Use Wi-Fi Instead of Cellular Data: When possible, connect to Wi-Fi networks instead of relying on cellular data. Using Wi-Fi consumes less power than using cellular data.
  17. Enable Airplane Mode in Low or No Coverage Areas: When you're in an area with low or no cellular coverage, enabling Airplane Mode can prevent your iPhone from constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery.

By following these tips, you can help prolong the battery life of your iPhone and maintain its overall performance over time.

Jul 26, 2023 10:23 PM in response to Jubilee6936

Hello!

Please see if backing up and resorting your device will fix this issue:

The links to do this appear below:

Link for how to Back up and Restore: Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or to iCloud - Apple Support

Link for putting iPhone in DFU Mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: The above material is not my work. Any credit should go to Michael Brooks1  who originally posted it here: Jun 27, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Jubalub. 

Please report back wether performing the above process made the battery drainage worse, fixed it, or if you noticed no change at all. 

Jul 26, 2023 9:05 AM in response to COWAL-lad

Nonsense, battery consumption is much higher since 16.6 install! Battery life has decreased significantly since/including iOS 16.5.

If I switch all functions off my battery drain will not be as bad!!!!!! What is the point of owning an IOS system device?

Functioning = bad battery drain

Limiting functions = improved battery life.

Sorry Apple this is not acceptable.

Jul 27, 2023 5:33 AM in response to Jubilee6936

I have the same issue and will restore my iPhone soon. The comment regarding inadvertent corruption is valid. I had this issue once before and a restore solved it. I fought it at first and even upgraded from a 13 Pro to a 14 Pro and the battery life problem followed me to the new phone. I had performed a Quick Start setup / migration. Whatever the issue was must have been in the configuration files etc. If you have a good backup, restoration is not that bad. Rearraigning you icons tends to be the biggest chore. NOTE: be sure all of your MFA authenticator app data is obtainable before restoring. It is a pain if you lose access to the 2 factor auth codes etc. Advice above from H1290 is spot on.

Aug 1, 2023 4:56 AM in response to Jubilee6936

Restored a few days ago now, battery life is still nowhere as good as before the last updates. Apple IOS is no longer as reliable as it was a few years ago, while still having to pay the premium price.

I am now questioning my continued use of apple products. I am also considering just doing without a mobile connected device altogether. Electronics/Media companies and the UK state intention to weaken security I have declining confidence in my data being private. Big Brother is now becoming a reality, I miss interaction with people and supporting real employment. Society has as a whole deteriorated since the public gave companies way too much leeway. Just look at the banking sector, my local branch is being closed. Even though there is always a lengthy que at the branch!

I fear for the future of the UK, People matter and NOT companies and profit for the very few.

iOS 16.6, iPhone 13, battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.