Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Sharing albums without editing, delete etc. options

Just changed from Windows to Apple (Mac mini) and therefore also from OneDrive to iCloud. I'm an amateur photographer and shared a lot of albums with family and friends in OneDrive, where I had the possibility to choose to what extend could be done with the photo's. (Only look, for a limited period of time, edit, download.)

I would like to share my albums again through iCloud but this seems only possible in a way that family and friends have the option to add, edit or even delete photos. And I absolutely don't want that.

Am I missing certain configuration options or is this just how Apple designed it?

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 5:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 10:54 AM

Your Shred Albums can be setup so those invited can't delete, add or comment on the photos in the album. Just don't check the checkbox allowing invitees to comment or add Photos.

You can either use a public website (the URL is so obscure that it's unlikely anyone could stumble upon it) or have a private and enter the email addresses of those you want to invite. As a public website you'd have to copy the URL and email it to those you want to invite.

Try it with a couple of test photos and what you need to do to protect them as you'd like.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 10:54 AM in response to MilusJunod

Your Shred Albums can be setup so those invited can't delete, add or comment on the photos in the album. Just don't check the checkbox allowing invitees to comment or add Photos.

You can either use a public website (the URL is so obscure that it's unlikely anyone could stumble upon it) or have a private and enter the email addresses of those you want to invite. As a public website you'd have to copy the URL and email it to those you want to invite.

Try it with a couple of test photos and what you need to do to protect them as you'd like.

Jul 27, 2023 12:32 AM in response to MilusJunod

The Shared iCloud Photos Library is has been created by Apple because many users requested the ability to have a joint family photos library, one library with all the family photos where everyone can contribute to. Otherwise the Photos.app is strictly a single user app - limited to one user and can only be stored on locally mounted volumes.

Previously we only had the Shared albums pointed out by OT. There is one shortcoming, you should be aware of. Shared albums are not sharing the photos in the full resolution. They are creating copies of your photos, optimised for sharing. The photos will be downsized to 2048 pixels at the longest edge and some metadata will be removed for privacy reasons. This is perfect for showing off your photos, but not for transferring photos with all metadata and at the full resolution. Set up Shared Albums in iCloud on all your devices – Apple Support (UK)

And see the paragraph "File types that you can use in Shared Albums" in this support document: How to use Shared Albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad and Mac – Apple Support (UK)

"When shared, photos are reduced to 2,048 pixels on the long edge, except panoramic photos, which can be up to 5,400 pixels wide. You can share GIFs that are 100 MB or smaller. ....

Videos can be up to fifteen minutes in length and are delivered at up to 720p resolution.

* You can't upload RAW photos to Shared Albums on your Windows PC.

Shared Albums upload a copy of your data. Downloaded content may not contain the same information as the original.

"

Sharing albums without editing, delete etc. options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.