iMessage-Android messaging - frustrated spouse

Having some persistent challenges communicating with my wife across messaging systems. She is all-in with Apple (Mac and iPhone)….I have a Mac and iPad but use an Android phone. When I send her a text via my Android phone, her reply goes to my iMessage, and not back to my phone. What is the simplest fix for this? Is the problem with my contact information in her iPhone/iMessages or is there a fix at my end? (Aside from getting an iPhone). TIA

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 8:16 PM

Hi Ajh824

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: iMessage-Android messaging : challenges communicating with my wife across messaging systems

Seems messages using the Messages app from Apple to Apple devices go by wi-fi, to and fro.

Yet on your wife's iPhone, using Messages for an SMS to your Android phone would require using cellular data.

If her iPhone's cellular data plan allows SMS MMS, it would need to be switched on for Messages.

She would also need your contact phone number listed in order to send SMS, (ie: not just your email address).

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data rates might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 8:16 PM in response to Ajh824

Hi Ajh824

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: iMessage-Android messaging : challenges communicating with my wife across messaging systems

Seems messages using the Messages app from Apple to Apple devices go by wi-fi, to and fro.

Yet on your wife's iPhone, using Messages for an SMS to your Android phone would require using cellular data.

If her iPhone's cellular data plan allows SMS MMS, it would need to be switched on for Messages.

She would also need your contact phone number listed in order to send SMS, (ie: not just your email address).

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data rates might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

iMessage-Android messaging - frustrated spouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.