Sound Cuts Out on 2023 MBP

Hello all,

Since upgrading to Ventura 13.5, the volume on my 2023 16” MBP’s internal speakers turns way down (for example, from 50% to about 10%) randomly and of its own volition. This happens in Music as well as in Safari when I am playing a video. Also, there is the occasional static record-scratch sounds when, say, I am playing a song in Music but switch to another application. Happens at the moment I switch and then goes away. I have done everything I can think of doing, short of uninstalling 13.5. Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any help!

—Michael

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 2:03 PM

mfmuller wrote:

Hello all,

Since upgrading to Ventura 13.5, the volume on my 2023 16” MBP’s internal speakers turns way down (for example, from 50% to about 10%) randomly and of its own volition. This happens in Music as well as in Safari when I am playing a video. Also, there is the occasional static record-scratch sounds when, say, I am playing a song in Music but switch to another application. Happens at the moment I switch and then goes away. I have done everything I can think of doing, short of uninstalling 13.5. Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any help!

—Michael

Have you shut down and restarted more than once since you ran the update...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

no insight or resolve—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 2:03 PM in response to mfmuller

mfmuller wrote:

Hello all,

—Michael

Have you shut down and restarted more than once since you ran the update...

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

no insight or resolve—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Sound Cuts Out on 2023 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.