how do I manage what is being backed up for a child account using family sharing?

I have family sharing a subscription to 200GB iCloud storage.

The iCloud storage is filing up, with backups from one of the child accounts (large games).

Unfortunately, it looks like it is no possible to manage what is being backed up from the child account, because the child does not have the necessary access and the parents do not have the option either.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:34 PM

It's greyed out because you have Screen Time restrictions enabled, it has nothing to do with being a child directly. Turn off the restriction momentarily to access the account and settings.

Settings ➜ Screen Time ➜ Content & Privacy Restrictions ➜ Allow Changes ➜ Account Changes, and make sure its set to Allow.

Set it back to "Don't Allow" once you are done.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 3:34 PM in response to arjen48

It's greyed out because you have Screen Time restrictions enabled, it has nothing to do with being a child directly. Turn off the restriction momentarily to access the account and settings.

Settings ➜ Screen Time ➜ Content & Privacy Restrictions ➜ Allow Changes ➜ Account Changes, and make sure its set to Allow.

Set it back to "Don't Allow" once you are done.

Jul 26, 2023 12:11 PM in response to arjen48

Account data is not backed up at all.

Device data and installed app data would be backed up, and must be handled directly on the device being backed up.

On the child's device go to Settings ➜ Apple ID ➜ iCloud ➜ iCloud Backup ➜ [Device Name], and see what is getting backed up. You can turn off apps and content from there to reduce the space used for backups.

how do I manage what is being backed up for a child account using family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.