Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enable GPS functionality on a iPad 9th generation Wi-Fi for Nautical Navigation

I recently bought an Generation 9 Wi-Fi iPad without realizing it would not have GPS. I will be using the iPad on my boat which has a Wi-Fi network. And, the network streams data from my Airmar Weather Station, including GPS position in NMEA 0183 sentences. Is it possible for the iPad to use this information for location?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:28 PM

You have perhaps discovered that only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS capabilities - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. 

WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only iPad models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

All this has significant implications for non-static mapping applications. If you need to have moving maps, or have future flexibility to do so, you may need to consider a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad. Choosing a cellular model does not commit you to adding a cellular service plan for the iPad, but ensures that you have immediate access to GPS/GNSS positioning services.

Unfortunately, iPad does not have a serial input that can accept NMEA 0183 data. Unless you can find a third-party adapter and corresponding App to accept this input, this won’t be a viable option.

As is, your available options are:

• Substitute your WiFi Only iPad for a WiFi+Cellular model; this does not commit you to provisioning Cellular service for your iPad, but does provide the needed GPS functionality for the iPad.
  • Add an external GPS receiver to your WiFi Only iPad. These are often used in marine, aviation and vehicular applications - and can be either directly connected via Lightning or via Bluetooth. Their are various third-party manufacturers, of which two are BadElf and Garmin Glo.

Be aware that if purchased directly from Apple, in most countries/regions you have 14-days within which you can unconditionally return an undamaged iPad for exchange or refund. If applicable, this option will allow you to exchange your WiFi Only iPad for the equivalent WiFi+Cellular model.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 3:28 PM in response to MV Oregon

You have perhaps discovered that only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS capabilities - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset. 

WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only iPad models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

All this has significant implications for non-static mapping applications. If you need to have moving maps, or have future flexibility to do so, you may need to consider a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad. Choosing a cellular model does not commit you to adding a cellular service plan for the iPad, but ensures that you have immediate access to GPS/GNSS positioning services.

Unfortunately, iPad does not have a serial input that can accept NMEA 0183 data. Unless you can find a third-party adapter and corresponding App to accept this input, this won’t be a viable option.

As is, your available options are:

• Substitute your WiFi Only iPad for a WiFi+Cellular model; this does not commit you to provisioning Cellular service for your iPad, but does provide the needed GPS functionality for the iPad.
  • Add an external GPS receiver to your WiFi Only iPad. These are often used in marine, aviation and vehicular applications - and can be either directly connected via Lightning or via Bluetooth. Their are various third-party manufacturers, of which two are BadElf and Garmin Glo.

Be aware that if purchased directly from Apple, in most countries/regions you have 14-days within which you can unconditionally return an undamaged iPad for exchange or refund. If applicable, this option will allow you to exchange your WiFi Only iPad for the equivalent WiFi+Cellular model.

Jul 26, 2023 5:45 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

My purpose is for an anchor alarm and requires more accuracy than the inferred position.

I do have an app installed on the iPad called NMEA Remote that takes the NMEA 0183 data from the network via Wi-Fi and creates a weather display and a display for Lat and Long. See below (no data is shown because I'm not at the boat currently). It works great. But, I don't know if this will be available to the iPad location and/or other apps, such as the anchor alarm app.

I will be considering the return policy, but I am a couple days over.

Jul 27, 2023 2:24 AM in response to MV Oregon

Clearly an anchor-drag alarm requires continuously updated precision position data - which, for practical purposes, requires satellite-based radio-navigation.

In using a compatible external GNSS/GPS receiver, you can overcome the technical shortcoming of a WiFi Only iPad. For marine or aviation applications, regardless of iPad model, it is sometimes necessary to use an external GPS receiver anyway.

As you are doubtless aware, GNSS signals are very low-level - and require clear/unobstructed line-of-sight to multiple satellites with good geometry for an accurate position fix. Using an iPad below deck can introduce difficulties through signal attenuation or blocking by deck fittings etc.; even a film of water across the deck can be sufficient to completely block signals. Using an external receiver, located in a more optimal location, can significantly improve reliably of GNSS signal reception.

In safely critical applications, such as anchor-drag alarms and navigation, using a dedicated marine GPS receiver (even a battery operated handheld) might be a better and more reliable choice. Dedicated receivers benefit from multi-constellation support - and additional precision from EGNOS/WAAS.

Jul 27, 2023 11:10 AM in response to LotusPilot

I agree an external GPS is preferable. And, I do have a great external GPS already and its data is available on my iPad via the NMEA Remote app. However, I don't know if this will be available to the iPad location function and/or other apps, such as the anchor alarm app.

My existing external GPS also has an external antenna for a better signal than possible with BadElf or GarminGlo. I'd rather use it if I can.

How to enable GPS functionality on a iPad 9th generation Wi-Fi for Nautical Navigation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.