Factory resets on Apple devices after someone dies

A family member recently passed away. The family has yet to find their Apple ID, passwords, passcodes or email address that was used and it's looking like they will not find it.

They left behind an iMac, MacBook Pro, 10th Gen iPad, iPhone 13 mini & Apple SE watch

I already know that Apple requires a Court Order to retrieve any Data.

They are only interested in having the devices set back to factory settings so the devices can be used by other family members.

I've read MANY discussion boards and articles about this subject so my questions are slightly different.

Similar to when people purchase devices from 3rd parties and can't get the device unlocked - I've read that Apple requires a receipt of the new purchase to have the devices reset.

1. Does anyone know if Apple is shown documents that they are administrators of the deceased - can Apple factory reset the devices? Again it is not known what apple ID, email address or passwords were used. I know that the Activation Lock support request is made online.

2. Once Apple can verify ownership - how does it work to reset devices? Do you have to take the devices into an Apple Store?

If so, what documents are required to bring?

3. Can another family member bring it to have it reset with copies of Apple documents or does it have to be the direct next of kin?

4. The MacBook Pro is starting up with a folder question mark > startup disk not available or doesn't contain working Mac OS. Again, Without Apple ID & passwords, can this be reset to factory settings?

5. The iPhone 13 mini with sim - will this still be locked to the phone carrier (in this case, Boost Mobile) if a factory reset can be done??

6. The Apple SE Watch is obviously still paired with the phone. Again, is it possible to have it factory reset with it still being paired and Activation lock still on - without the ability to unpair it from the iPhone itself?

Any insight on how the process works would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 27, 2023 11:01 AM in response to 1Fireball

To get that detail you would need to hear from somebody who has done this.

Our resources are largely information in:

For information about how to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account data, and possibly their equipment, click here --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

In that Apple says: ""While we may also be able to help remove Activation Lock from devices that use your loved one’s original Apple ID, their iPhone, iPod, and iPad will need to be restored to factory settings before they can be used with another Apple ID. Please note that devices locked with a passcode are protected by passcode encryption, and Apple can't help remove the passcode lock without erasing the device."

This applies to any device as far as I know: Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

As for the carrier lock, that's not something Apple controls. Click on the link to read Apple's support article on how to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier. - How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support - Only some carriers offer the ability to unlock iPhone for use on any carrier. Follow the instructions in this article to unlock your iPhone.

Click on this link for iPhone: Wireless carrier support and features in the USA and Canada - Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada - Apple Support - including a list of which ones offer unlocking.

Jul 27, 2023 12:22 PM in response to 1Fireball

Hello 1Fireball, The only thing I can add in possible learning the Apple ID of the deceased family member is if the family member sent an old email to any member of the family and used their Apple ID email address in the From header of the email. If you have and old email click on the name in the From header to expand it and show the full email address name. That could be the Apple ID. Also if any family member has the deceased family member's Contact Info in their iPhone and that Contact Info shows an email address that too could be the deceased member's Apple ID. Forgive me if you have already gone through this with no luck. Best then to Follow Limnos advice below and work with Apple Support.

Jul 27, 2023 12:40 PM in response to 1Fireball

Thanks for the tip. Yes, her mobile number and an iCloud email address is known to the family - however, when I tried to get the MacBook Pro (the one with the question mark folder) to boot up in internet recovery mode it asked me for the password for the partly shown Apple ID which was a yahoo email. Unfortunately, no one in the family was emailed from that yahoo account - hence the dilemma of knowing what actually was their Apple ID. I am hoping that with the right proof, Apple can reset these devices instead of them going in electronic recycle.

Jul 27, 2023 1:02 PM in response to 1Fireball

Hello 1Fireball, It could be your family member had two Apple IDs. I myself have two Apple IDs. It is possible the iCloud email address is an Apple ID and you could work with Apple Support using that iCloud email address and any executor of the deceased estate paperwork Apple requires to access the devices for Factory reset.

Factory resets on Apple devices after someone dies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.