Time machine will not show all available backups when trying to migrate, Please help with External SSD OS

Hello community.

I have finally successfully added Yosemite onto an external SSD so I can run my old Adobe CS5 suite. I am trying to migrate from time machine and I know I have other backups because when I try and run time machine from restore mode on start up it will show the older Mojave backups. All I get is one backup, the latest backup from monterey. Why does this migration tool not show the other backups on the time machine drive? When I choose this it loads everything from monterey so nothing works and I get a bunch of ???????? across the tool bar, it will not show the drive or anything in finder either. I manually moved the applications from the internal HD to the external HD and they moved successfully however Adobe now says I need to uninstall and reinstall.

A few other possible issues I was thinking of is the fact I have the old Yosemite OS on this external. Do I need Mojave on this external drive in order to see the backups to migrate? I feel like this isn't true since I can see the latest Monterey backup but I still wanted to ask. Plus I tried to upgrade to Mojave on the external OS but apple keeps telling me that my apple ID in incorrect even though on my phone it tells me I just signed into my apple ID. I can sign into the cloud on the computer but the app store keeps telling me I am wrong. I do not know how to get around this.

I have tried to restore the external SSD using time machine from cmommand + R on startup but this function has never worked. It just becomes stuck at the final process on reboot and will do nothing.

All I want to do is run an older OS on an external drive to run the Adobe CS5 creative software. I cannot find my original disc but I was hoping I could migrate the software but I keep hitting road blocks. if someone has the time to help walk me through actually making this work without having to reload the software that would be awesome. I am almost to the point of buying a used copy from someone to run.

Why I want to run CS5 and not the new subscription from adobe?

For one I think it's a total crap of a scheme to pay a subscription for software but that's the way our unfortunate world has gone to guarantee that income to these businesses. I was once a professional photographer for many years but I no longer do it for a living so I am fine with using my old CS5. So no I am NOT making money using photoshop or on my camera equipment.

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 8:27 PM

Unfotunately Mojave is most likely formatted APFS. And Yosemite can't read APFS. But APFS can read vice versa. You need to change your work flow.

Copy the necessary files while booted into Mojave to Yosemite installed drive/partition, and then access CS5.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 2, 2023 4:17 PM in response to a brody

Thank you. My issue is that I upgraded to Monterey thinking that I would just Time Machine an external drive with the Mojave image but it posed to be a bigger problem than I thought. I was able to upgrade Yosemite to Sierra and now I’m loading Mojave on the external. Hopefully then it will recognize the older Time Machine backups to use migration assistant . I used Monterey to manually move the CS5 files to the Yosemite drive and they all showed up but CS5 wants me to uninstall and reinstall so hopefully this plan works. Thank you again

Aug 2, 2023 6:11 PM in response to Joshua Vereen

Two big transitions you have to play around with

10.12 Sierra/ 10.13 High Sierra the introduction of APFS

10.14 Mojave/10.15 Catalina moving from 32 bit to 64 bit applications. Big Sur and Monterey are even further removed from Mojave.

Why I generally recommend unless someone can upgrade to all 64 bit applications to stick with Mojave.

Aug 2, 2023 7:44 PM in response to a brody

I agree and wish I had not made the switch but one of the reasons I did is there was an issue with anything in Mojave viewing my raw images from my new Nikon and I was about to make a trip out of the country and upgraded at the last minute. Of course is all worked and I could view what I needed to but lost the ability to use CS5. I thought I would come back from my trip and make this all work but I have not yet.

Do you have any recommendations for how to move a time machine back up within Mojave. I have searched the net and cannot find any good articles on it nor can I find migration assistant in Mojave. When I try to enter Time machine it will not show anything from the present because I just loaded it on this drive. Now that I have loaded this drive with Mojave Maybe I can use recovery and try to recover from a time machine back up but that has not worked in the past. Manually moving my apps still will not allow me to open CS5 and it keeps asking me to uninstall. I no longer can find my original disc at this time.

FYI I can view time machine backups in the drive but I do not know how to load them

Time machine will not show all available backups when trying to migrate, Please help with External SSD OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.