Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Connect to the apple studio display from an HDMI port

I purchased an apple studio display with the intention of using it with my mac and my work PC. Both my MacBook Pro and my PC have HDMI output ports. I am so far unable to get either to connect to the Studio Display. I tried purchasing the HDMI to USB-C cable but that doesn’t seem to work.

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 10:48 AM

It will work with a PC. I'm using dual studio displays with a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 11. You won't be able to adjust the screen brightness from Windows OS, but if you have a Mac you can adjust the brightness with that, the display will preserve this setting on the PC for future use.

7 replies

Oct 23, 2023 8:43 PM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas wrote:

additionally: the [27"] Mac [5K] Studio [Display] is exclusively for macOS, it won’t work with Windows.

This tends to be an issue for monitors that have software-based controls for things like contrast and brightness. There may be a single favored platform (whether it is Windows or macOS) that gets the drivers – leaving people with other platforms out in the cold if there are no user interface controls on the monitor itself (as a backup).

Apr 7, 2024 3:19 PM in response to jon16384fallschurch

So I was able to figure out how to plug in an HDMI devices to an apple studio display... via purchasing some 3rd party adapters. The issue is that the Apple Studio display specifically looks for Thunderbolt 1st, then Display 1.4, which means you will need some adapters/special cables to get it working.

With this method, you will get full resolution support of the 5K Monitor, but will loose:

• Audio
  • Camera/Microphone
  • Brightness Controls (set on Mac before using)
  • Cannot use rear facing USB-Hub on Apple Studio Display

To be able to plug in an HDMI Device; You will need:

• Bi-directional Display Port 1.4 to USB-C cable: Amazon
  • HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 8K 60Hz Active Adapter: UTAB

Once you get these, just plug one end of the adapter into your HDMI device and the USB-C end into the back of the Apple Studio Display (The port that has Thunderbolt Icon on the back)

Apr 2, 2024 1:55 PM in response to jon16384fallschurch

I was able to get this to work. The problem was that my graphics board was too old and did not support some streaming compression mode. I got a new graphics card and I used a DVI to USB-c cord and it worked. You need to be sure that your adapter cord works in the DVI to USB-c direction. Usually they are used to connect a USB-C from a computer to a monitor DVI.

It works very well now.

Connect to the apple studio display from an HDMI port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.