Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Text message defaults to email, not Android phone number

With most of my text messages, I begin writing the message recipient’s name & the message automatically directs to their mobile number. However, every so often it defaults to their email address only, even though I have both in their contact listing. The only way to fix this problem that I found was sending a message to another iPhone. I am sending to an Android phone. I can I correct this?

using IOS 16.5.1 (c)

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 12:23 AM

Hi gary_bradshaw,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Seems the Messages app sends Text imessages by wi-fi from Apple to Apple devices.

However SMS / MMS to Android phones must go by cellular data, and can only do so if your settings permit this.

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data plan / rates / might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 12:23 AM in response to gary_bradshaw

Hi gary_bradshaw,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Seems the Messages app sends Text imessages by wi-fi from Apple to Apple devices.

However SMS / MMS to Android phones must go by cellular data, and can only do so if your settings permit this.

Apple support have articles online (links below) to help with details:

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Use cellular data on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (NB Cellular data plan / rates / might apply.)

More info. if needed:

Messages Support Website (info / support / contact):

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), of their website (link below)

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Text message defaults to email, not Android phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.