Mark up will not work in preview

I opened a pages document in preview to edit with markup, it will not allow me to click any button to edit including Markup & signature, also I cannot click anything in the tools menu.

Usually this isn't an issue, though I have run into this problem for some files in the past and never found a solution.

The editing was unlocked for all on the pages document, don't know if that's relevant.

Hoping someone has a solution or at least reason why this is happening sometimes.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 12:43 PM

Regardless of macOS version, there is no markup capability on a Pages document opened in Apple's Preview as that feature is restricted to PDF or images. Pages v13.1 on macOS 12.3 or later allows you to export a Pages document page as an image and once you have done that, the image would be receptive to markup in Preview.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 12:43 PM in response to astoyko

Regardless of macOS version, there is no markup capability on a Pages document opened in Apple's Preview as that feature is restricted to PDF or images. Pages v13.1 on macOS 12.3 or later allows you to export a Pages document page as an image and once you have done that, the image would be receptive to markup in Preview.

Mark up will not work in preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.