Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

iMovie increasing duration of transition

I am trying to increase the duration of a transition in iMovie but it is telling me I cannot do this for some reason.

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 8:00 PM

IMovie won’t let you increase the duration of the transition because you have insufficient residual media in the video clips on each side of the transition for the increased transition to hook on to. Increase the residual media by trimming back the clips on each side of the transition as much as necessary to accommodate the increased duration of the transition.

— Rich

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 8:00 PM in response to avonanne

IMovie won’t let you increase the duration of the transition because you have insufficient residual media in the video clips on each side of the transition for the increased transition to hook on to. Increase the residual media by trimming back the clips on each side of the transition as much as necessary to accommodate the increased duration of the transition.

— Rich

Jul 29, 2023 7:32 AM in response to avonanne

I'm happy to help.

By default iMovie creates enough residual video in a video clip to support a 2 second transition. If you need more than 2 seconds, with video clips one needs to trim back the clip to create some additional residual video for the longer transition to hook on to. I know. It sounds counter-intuitive to trim back to get more.

With photo clips, the opposite is true. When you need a longer duration transition between two photo clips you increase the duration of the photo by dragging out the edge to make it play longer. So, you drag out a photo, not trim it back.

-- Rich

iMovie increasing duration of transition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.