Restoring passwords from iCloud backup

How can I access my iCloud backup? After deleting restored passwords on my old device, I discovered my action mistakenly also deleted the passwords from the new device because they were still linked. I’m trying to restore the passwords from my iCloud backup to the new device.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 8:46 PM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2023 4:39 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your response. However, I wasn’t referring to password of iCloud or iCloud Backup. The data I backed up and transferred to my new device included saved passwords. The saved passwords were restored to both devices. I proceeded to delete them (synced passwords) on the old device. Come to find out they were also deleted on the new device.

How do I retrieve these passwords on my new device please?

Jul 28, 2023 10:25 PM in response to wolex23

To clarify, iCloud Backup does not have its own separate password. However, an iTunes backup, unlike iCloud Backup, may require a password for added security. So, while iCloud Backup doesn't necessitate a separate password, iTunes backup may have one if you choose to set it up.

Apple ID and Activation Lock

iCloud uses Apple ID credentials.

If you do not remember the Apple ID Password then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you do not remember the Apple ID then follow the steps given in this Apple Article -> If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Restoring passwords from iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.