iPad mini 6 external USB DAC recognised but no sound after first song

I have a iPad mini6 and wanted to use it to stream apple music for my HiFi system.

I intend to used it with a external usb DAC (Holo Spring 2) via a USB C to USB B cable.

However, I realised that the cable I am using may not support this action, thus , I bought the Apple USB C to HDMI/USB A/USB C hub and ran a USB A to USB B cable to my DAC.

There was a sound playing for the first song i played. However, when it goes to the second song, there was no sound anymore. In fact, there was no sound after the first sound over any other app.

However, the display on my DAC still shows the changes in sampling rate when the sampling of the song played is changed. So this indicates signal was in fact being transmitted.

To get a sound, i need to reboot my iPad and even then it’s just a matter of luck if i get a sound form the iPad. Sometimes it plays the first song, some times not even the first song.

To make sure it’s not my DAC that has problems, I ran the USB A to B cable to my Chrome Book to play youtube, and sound was coming out immediately.

I don’t know why, but it seems this is only happening to me as I’ve asked other audiophiles who uses iPads and doesn’t have this problem.

I have had this problem since the ios update 16.4 and was having no problem before this. I’ve tried factory resetting the iPad and had no luck.

I’ll attach a pic showing that the iPad recognises the DAC too.

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 12:36 AM

1 reply

Dec 7, 2023 5:48 AM in response to Henry9731

I have this same problem when I hook up my iPad to an external DAC. It worked fine for the longest time, but after upgrading the OS recently it stopped working. My iPad will recognize the DAC just like yours but no audio comes out. I have a feeling it was a selection I made right after upgrading the OS. Just after upgrading the OS, when I first plugged the DAC into the iPad a selection appeared asking if the device was either "Headphones" or "Other" and since the DAC was not headphones, I selected "Other". I have a feeling if I had selected "Headphones, I probably wouldn't be having this problem. Unfortunately I don't see a way to undo my selection or to make the OS forget my DAC and go back to that selection. I imagine I will have to wipe my iPad, reinstall the apps and hook it back up again but this time selecting "Headphone". I will update once I have time to do all of this - not sure when that will be.

iPad mini 6 external USB DAC recognised but no sound after first song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.