Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Does iOS Photos (visual lookup feature) function outside the USA ?? Even with region is set to USA ??

I live in Kuwait , having iPhone 14 pro .. The region is set to USA and language set to US English , Siri lookup feature enabled …

however, the visual lookup feature doesn’t work while I’m in Kuwait … but with same phone and settings; it suddenly works when I visited USA .. the same photos are suddenly identified like cats, plants and landmarks !!

is this feature geo-locked ??

I checked the Apple page (iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple ) about feature availability , it doesn’t say (only USA) .. it says languages supported (English, German, Spanish, French .. etc)!

what’s the idea here ? I’m on latest iOS 16.6 as of now !

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 12:06 AM

Here is a list, where the iOS 16 features are supported - they depend on the language and the country: iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

Particularly for visual lookup, these languages are supported: iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

• English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

There is no indication, that the region is limited, only the language. But visual lookup needs access to Apple's servers. Perhaps some firewall has been interfering. And it needs to scan the photos and analyze them. Perhaps the scan has not been completed, when you first tried to use the feature.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 12:06 AM in response to Lewi_L

Here is a list, where the iOS 16 features are supported - they depend on the language and the country: iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

Particularly for visual lookup, these languages are supported: iOS and iPadOS - Feature Availability - Apple

• English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

There is no indication, that the region is limited, only the language. But visual lookup needs access to Apple's servers. Perhaps some firewall has been interfering. And it needs to scan the photos and analyze them. Perhaps the scan has not been completed, when you first tried to use the feature.

Aug 5, 2023 12:33 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply … but I highly doubt that … because when I travel to another country , the feature suddenly works .. when I go to Kuwait , it stops working … I have even tried VPN in Kuwait to other countries (which would bypass any IP blocking) .. yet it didn’t work while I’m in Kuwait …

Does iOS Photos (visual lookup feature) function outside the USA ?? Even with region is set to USA ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.