Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Voicemail locked me out

iPhone 11

after dwnld iOS 16 my voicemail has locked me out. Wants a password. I don’t have one and never had one. It says “call voicemail” an AI tells me to enter password…….and if I cannot what mailbox am I in? I don’t know

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 2:10 PM

Call your voicemail box number -> xxxx to listen to the main menu.

Every Carrier has their own main menu, so check it with your carrier.

An example here:

Choose 2 for the personal settings of your voicemail. 

Choose 3 for PIN code and choose a 4 digit code. You can also change your pin code here and indicate when your voicemail should ask for the pin code.

FYI: if you enter an incorrect code 3 times and you will receive a temporary code via SMS. You can change that later

Which voicemail box number you should call depends on your carrier, the voicemail settings are controlled by your carrier, so contact your carrier.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 2:10 PM in response to Sherman15

Call your voicemail box number -> xxxx to listen to the main menu.

Every Carrier has their own main menu, so check it with your carrier.

An example here:

Choose 2 for the personal settings of your voicemail. 

Choose 3 for PIN code and choose a 4 digit code. You can also change your pin code here and indicate when your voicemail should ask for the pin code.

FYI: if you enter an incorrect code 3 times and you will receive a temporary code via SMS. You can change that later

Which voicemail box number you should call depends on your carrier, the voicemail settings are controlled by your carrier, so contact your carrier.

Jul 29, 2023 2:26 PM in response to Sherman15

Sherman15 wrote:

iPhone 11
after dwnld iOS 16 my voicemail has locked me out. Wants a password. I don’t have one and never had one.

ALL voicemail accounts have passwords; it is required by carriers. So yours had a password that you probably chose the first time you set up the phone with your cellular carrier, however many years ago that was. You generally don’t need it after that because the Voicemail app on your phone remembers it, unless the phone is cleared and not restored from a backup.

When you call your voice mailbox as suggested by Raicya you will have to enter your passcode; if you don’t know it you will have to contact your carrier to reset it, which will probably also erase any saved messages.

Voicemail locked me out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.