Signed old phone into my long-standing iCloud account, voice memos deleted

I have an older iPhone 7 that I remembered I had some very valuable voice memos in. Clearly in the last few years I had cleared up my iCloud storage and removed the last backup for this device.

I managed to coax the device to life, and located the recordings (hooray!). Just as I sent the first one off by email, I got a little pop-up asking me to re-sign into iCloud. Once I achieved this I watched as, in a split second, it synced me recordings and the ones that were not on my shared cloud disappeared. Is there any way to recover the recordings that disappeared? They're the last and only recordings I have of my grandfather :'(

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 1:29 AM

Enabling iCloud for Photos, Notes, Videos, Reminders, Messages, Voice Memos and more as depicted in the provided picture, means that if you delete any or all data from one device, it will also be removed from iCloud and all other devices linked to the same Apple ID. Likewise, the reverse is true as well. In brief they are synced.

Sync and Backup are two different functions offered by iCloud on the iPhone, and they serve distinct purposes:

Sync:

iCloud Sync is a feature that keeps your data, such as photos, contacts, calendars, reminders, notes, and other app data, consistent across all your Apple devices. When you enable iCloud sync for specific apps and data types, any changes made on one device are automatically and wirelessly updated on all your other devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Backup:

iCloud Backup is a feature that creates a copy of your entire iPhone's data and settings and stores it securely on iCloud. It's like creating a snapshot of your iPhone at a specific point in time, and it includes data such as app data, device settings, home screen layout, iMessages, health data, and more.

In summary, Sync ensures that your data is kept consistent across your devices in real time, while Backup creates a secure copy of your entire iPhone's data that can be used to restore your device or set up a new one with your existing data. Both features work together to ensure data continuity and protection on your Apple devices.

In short, what is synced is not backed up.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 1:29 AM in response to Arezoth

Enabling iCloud for Photos, Notes, Videos, Reminders, Messages, Voice Memos and more as depicted in the provided picture, means that if you delete any or all data from one device, it will also be removed from iCloud and all other devices linked to the same Apple ID. Likewise, the reverse is true as well. In brief they are synced.

Sync and Backup are two different functions offered by iCloud on the iPhone, and they serve distinct purposes:

Sync:

iCloud Sync is a feature that keeps your data, such as photos, contacts, calendars, reminders, notes, and other app data, consistent across all your Apple devices. When you enable iCloud sync for specific apps and data types, any changes made on one device are automatically and wirelessly updated on all your other devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Backup:

iCloud Backup is a feature that creates a copy of your entire iPhone's data and settings and stores it securely on iCloud. It's like creating a snapshot of your iPhone at a specific point in time, and it includes data such as app data, device settings, home screen layout, iMessages, health data, and more.

In summary, Sync ensures that your data is kept consistent across your devices in real time, while Backup creates a secure copy of your entire iPhone's data that can be used to restore your device or set up a new one with your existing data. Both features work together to ensure data continuity and protection on your Apple devices.

In short, what is synced is not backed up.

Signed old phone into my long-standing iCloud account, voice memos deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.