How to locate stolen MacBook? Locating via iCloud Find My doesn't work.

My MacBook Air M2 was stolen about 7 months ago and now I received an email that it came back online and that it was locked. However I cannot see location where it was connected to the internet by using Find My app. Can anyone suggest how to proceed or how to contact Apple Support via chat?

MacBook Air, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 11:49 PM

FindMy is the only Apple-provided way to locate your Mac. If that's not working, or was not set up before the theft, all you can do is report the loss to local law authorities and your insurance company. After that it's a waiting game.

You can contact Apple support via the Support link this page bottom left.

Tha referring article that is listed above your post is Apple's response to your situation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 11:49 PM in response to Govindadas

FindMy is the only Apple-provided way to locate your Mac. If that's not working, or was not set up before the theft, all you can do is report the loss to local law authorities and your insurance company. After that it's a waiting game.

You can contact Apple support via the Support link this page bottom left.

Tha referring article that is listed above your post is Apple's response to your situation.

Jul 30, 2023 12:19 PM in response to Govindadas

"Friend told me that once device is locked via iCloud, not even Apple can find out its location. Is that true?"

I have no idea if it's true or not; you'll need to ask Apple and we are not Apple.

I'm sure there are instances of FindMy not working, but at this point does it really matter? The Mac is gone and you say it's locked. If it's useless to a thief, he/she will likely just trash it. Or sell it to some unsuspecting party which puts you right back where you are now.

From the horses mouth:If your Mac is lost or stolen - Apple Support. Which you're already read per the referring article.

Note the section on FindMY not being activated which is the as it failing.

There comes a time when you've done all you can do and you just have to live with the situation. After seven months, I feel that time has come. But that's your call. This forum has addressed your issue in the only way it can. We are not Apple, and we cannot advise you any more than has already been done.

Jul 30, 2023 8:37 AM in response to ku4hx

Find my Mac was activated before the theft, and it showed me the location when thieves tried to connect to the internet about 2 hours after the theft. However, since the police didn't have any other clues except approximate geolocation (it was in high density populated area), they could not just break the doors and go in.

In the meantime I signed in to my iCloud and requested to lock the device in case they try to use it again. Then today, after 7 months, I got the notification that device was connected to the internet again and went into the lock mode. However, it didn't show the location.

Friend told me that once device is locked via iCloud, not even Apple can find out its location. Is that true?

Jul 30, 2023 10:01 PM in response to ku4hx

Appreciate your response. Of course, I've accepted the situation and moved on. There are two reasons why I wanted to give it a try again after yesterday's notification:

1) MacBook was stolen in Mauritius, which is super small island, and if I would get the ping location, there's actually quite a lot that can be done. If MacBook is out of the country already, who cares.

2) MacBook was purchased with AppleCare+, which means that even if I find trashed computer, I can still get it repaired at Apple Service for about $300, which is worth since I paid $1800+ for a computer.

I'll see if anything can be done. Thanks for your support!

How to locate stolen MacBook? Locating via iCloud Find My doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.