Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Background App Refresh vs In-App Content iPad

I'm trying to understand background app refresh on my iPad and iPhone in general. I see the Settings > General > Background App Refresh and easily understand how to turn that off and use it when on Wi-Fi, etc. But I don't understand the Settings > App Store > In-App Content setting. Is it the same thing? If I want to stop all background app refresh, do I turn both settings off? And if I do, how does that negatively impact my iPad experience (btw I don't use social media enough to care if Facebook is loaded before I open the app)? And is it true with both settings off, I will save battery? Thanks for clearing this up.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 12:58 PM

Good question.

Here are more details about Background App Refresh:

Regarding In-App Content:

Download in-app content in the background: Turn on In-App Content to download content before you first open an app.”

I believe the key word in this description is “first”. I think this explains a one-time action.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Nyttja

Good question.

Here are more details about Background App Refresh:

Regarding In-App Content:

Download in-app content in the background: Turn on In-App Content to download content before you first open an app.”

I believe the key word in this description is “first”. I think this explains a one-time action.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.