Bought a USB SupperDrive CD Reader it will not connect to my MacBook Pro What do I need to connect to my Mac

WHEN I BOUGHT THIS USB SUPER DRIVE CD READER FROM APPLE STORE I WAS NOT TOLD I NEEDED A ADAPTER FOR IT TO CONNECT TO MY MAC

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 12:10 PM

WHITETG wrote:

WHEN I BOUGHT THIS USB SUPER DRIVE CD READER FROM APPLE STORE I WAS NOT TOLD I NEEDED A ADAPTER FOR IT TO CONNECT TO MY MAC

I'm sorry the people at the Apple Store didn't inform you properly, but people do make mistakes.

your superdrive needs to be connected directly to the Mac. it will not function if connected through a dock or hub. and since you have a Mac with USB-C ports, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter or an USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect it directly. third party adapters may work, but it is a craps shoot as to wether or not they will work.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 12:10 PM in response to WHITETG

WHITETG wrote:

I'm sorry the people at the Apple Store didn't inform you properly, but people do make mistakes.

your superdrive needs to be connected directly to the Mac. it will not function if connected through a dock or hub. and since you have a Mac with USB-C ports, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter or an USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to connect it directly. third party adapters may work, but it is a craps shoot as to wether or not they will work.

Jul 30, 2023 12:10 PM in response to WHITETG

You need an adapter to get from USB-C to USB-A, and particularly either the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter or another similar than provides sufficient power.

Various third-party USB-C to USB-A adapters and docks don’t, and some third-party adapters will specifically state SuperDrive—which requires a fair amount of power—is not supported.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Your caps-lock key appears to be stuck, too.

Bought a USB SupperDrive CD Reader it will not connect to my MacBook Pro What do I need to connect to my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.